• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Sandy Bridge performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Charlie,

Thanks for the heads-up and link, this has drastically changed my perspective on how to save my farm from SCE's plans to 'ehnance' billing, by forcing installation of their $mart meter.

I'll likely have to retire a couple folding rigs from 24/7 service, as SCE 'fine tunes' my bill, due to peak period usage. :mad:

...time to get greener & meaner.

:soda:

Intel's new Sandy Bridge 2600K at 4.9 GHz on a Corsair H50 did p6058 in 2:04, 31,000+ ppd. That's 33% faster than an i7 @ 3.8 GHz and nearly 72% more ppd. Extrapolating to -bigadv, it's going to make frames on p2686 of about 23:00 for ~56,000 ppd. Scale it up to 6 cores and put two of them on a SR-2 class motherboard and you could expect 8:00/frame, ~272,000 ppd.

HOLY CRAP!!!

This is the 1155 socket wonder what the new "2011" socket will do?

Damn you Intel making me want to spend more money

So they're not going to kill the socket? Oh do tell... :)

Apparently they are........

I've seen reports of lga1356 or lga2011 being the replacement for lga1366, but at this point who knows.............With this launch out of the way, we should start seeing more info soon.........Reported to launch Q3

Here's hoping they find a way to keep the new platform price down :beer:

Apparently they are........

I've seen reports of lga1356 or lga2011 being the replacement for lga1366, but at this point who knows.............With this launch out of the way, we should start seeing more info soon.........Reported to launch Q3

Here's hoping they find a way to keep the new platform price down :beer:

Yeah but look at it this way.

1. the 1366 and i7's are going to be thrown on the market cheap from people upgrading to the SB.
2. The i7 still pushes out killer points and if you are into building a farm with used boards and cpu's then you could potientially have a nice little farm to build.

I should swap my i7 out for the SB in my main and use the i7 as a dedicated folder in the corner(don't worry the sb would fold as well :D). I think the wife would kill me though(I said the i7 would last for quite a few years) Shame on you Stanford for getting me hooked.

New socket. The i7 2600K is a mainstream desktop product, priced at $317. AC is going to cr*p when he see's how high intel has raised the bar!

Who is AC?

I have some thinking to do! I was going to buy an i7 and utilize jdsparks spare parts to build another folder, but I can get a 2x sli evga 1155 board for 199.99 and then get a 2600k for 317 and 4gb ddr3 DC ram for 70.00 and have a beast of a folder, and utilize my old i7xboardxramxcooler as a folder as well.

hrm....What to do, what to do.

AC = Alabama Cajun. AC, by strength of his will alone, has improved AMD performance by 5%! :D :beer:

Intel's new Sandy Bridge 2600K at 4.9 GHz on a Corsair H50 did p6058 in 2:04, 31,000+ ppd. That's 33% faster than an i7 @ 3.8 GHz and nearly 72% more ppd. Extrapolating to -bigadv, it's going to make frames on p2686 of about 23:00 for ~56,000 ppd. Scale it up to 6 cores and put two of them on a SR-2 class motherboard and you could expect 8:00/frame, ~272,000 ppd.

HOLY CRAP!!!
This is the 1155 socket wonder what the new "2011" socket will do?
Damn you Intel making me want to spend more money

GIXX I think that ChasR meant:

the 1155 socket : -bigadv, it's going to make frames on p2686 of about 23:00 for ~56,000 ppd

the "2011" socket : Scale it up to 6 cores and put 2 of them on a SR-2 class motherboard and you could expect 8:00/frame, ~272,000 ppd

AC = Alabama Cajun. AC, by strength of his will alone, has improved AMD performance by 5%! :D :beer:

I feel partially responsible... I used to be a hardcore AMD fanboi. :chair: AC was an Intel guy. Then I showed him how my 939 Opteron kicked the crap out of his P4. AC, the uber AMD fanboi, was then born. :D

I stuck to my AMD guns until the Phenom/Barcelona debacle (otherwise known as the fall of Hector Ruiz) and then went Intel. Haven't looked back since. :)

I feel partially responsible... I used to be a hardcore AMD fanboi. :chair: AC was an Intel guy. Then I showed him how my 939 Opteron kicked the crap out of his P4. AC, the uber AMD fanboi, was then born. :D

I stuck to my AMD guns until the Phenom/Barcelona debacle (otherwise known as the fall of Hector Ruiz) and then went Intel. Haven't looked back since. :)

Wow, I didn't know that, I always thought of AC as being strictly AMD. :shock:

I was a hardcore AMD guy, until Pete(Scout) pointed me towards the Intel camp, for the premium folding goodness. :cool:

My 939s and 940s are long gone, but I still have an original skt A "econo" folding rig, which will get to fold a WU every so often, for old times sake.

Hehe :D... yeah, I still have my first dual core Opteron 170 and the DFI LanParty mobo also. Won't sell 'em. :) I have 3 sets of good DDRI too that I won't part with... including some OCZ TCCD. For some reason I haven't been as nostalgic with my Intel parts.

At $317 for an i7 2600K, and you have to get the K series if you want to OC, it couldn't be that much more expensive. An i7 950 is $294 on the egg.

OK, now I'm a little upset. Thanks. ;)

Had a friend send me a 950 from Microcenter. I paid him $35 and still saved $60 off of newegg. I didn't expect Sandy Bridge to be so...affordable.

OK, now I'm a little upset. Thanks. ;)

Had a friend send me a 950 from Microcenter. I paid him $35 and still saved $60 off of newegg. I didn't expect Sandy Bridge to be so...affordable.

Neither did I... something that NOW makes sense to me though is how Intel phased out the i7 920/930 with the quickness. I wondered why they took those cpus off the shelf. Now it's apparent they did so to make room for Sandy Bridge. b/c Intel knew that no one would want to buy lower end 1366 hardware with Sandy Bridge hardware available at a similar price.

IMO, the current i7 platforms (1156/1366) were WAY too short lived. I'm not pleased with the move.

i7 2600K $329 with free shipping. GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD5 LGA 1155 Intel P67 $259 with $8.00 shipping. Not bad at all.

Back