Thread: HTPC setup

HTPC setup

I can't seem to decide on how to approach a HTPC setup, so I wanted to bounce some ideas around and get some feedback.

First, what I want to do with the HTPC/media stack to do:
    Stream (Netflix and Youtube for sure, maybe Hulu and others later)
    Play DVDs and Blu-Ray (Blu-Ray capability not needed immediately)
    Play/push FLACs to receiver/surround sound
    File server

Just to be clear, I will not be:
    DVRing/timeshifting live TV
    3D
    Creating and storing encoded DVDs/Blu-Rays
    PC gaming on TV

So far I have:
    Wii
    2x 2TB hard drives
    Full size DVD-RW

The TV and surround sound will come later, no room to fit them in my bedroom yet.

As of right now, the budget is up in the air, ideally ~$500 but can be stretched, just nothing extravagent. I'm also willing to wait if Fusion is worth it.

And the three setups I keep bouncing between are:

#1: All-in one
    i3+H55/Phenom 2 + 890gx/Fusion running Ubuntu with XMBC/Boxee software (not sure which yet)

#2: Separate front and back end
    Get something minimal like an Atom or a dedicated streamer box, with a file server for my media.

#3: no HTPC
    Just buy a streaming box and/or internet ready Blu-Ray player, and build a file server.
    My Heatware
    OCforums Metal Club member # 665
    OCforums Musicians Club member # 665
    Main/Gaming: i7 920, Noctua U12P-SE, Asrock x58 Extreme, 6GB pc16000 Gskill Pi, Powercolor 7870, 256GB Crucial M500, 160GB Intel 320, Lite-On DVD burner, 600W OCZ modX
    File server: AMD e-350, Asus E35M1-M Pro, 4GB Crucial, OCZ Vertex 3 (OS), 3x Toshiba 1TB RAID 5, 2x 2TB WD Green in RAID 1, Antec 900, Corsair 520HX

Premium Member #21

Quote Originally Posted by disk11 View Post
    #2: Separate front and back end
    Get something minimal like an Atom or a dedicated streamer box, with a file server for my media.

#3: no HTPC
    Just buy a streaming box and/or internet ready Blu-Ray player, and build a file server.
    One of these two, or sort-of both. Something like a Roku box would be great, and fairly cheap, thus fulfilling your HTPC requirement for your front end. Then just put together a cheap NAS rig using something like FreeNAS. Even low-end gear would be fine.