• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

I can't seem to decide on how to approach a HTPC setup, so I wanted to bounce some ideas around and get some feedback.

First, what I want to do with the HTPC/media stack to do:
Stream (Netflix and Youtube for sure, maybe Hulu and others later)
Play DVDs and Blu-Ray (Blu-Ray capability not needed immediately)
Play/push FLACs to receiver/surround sound
File server

Just to be clear, I will not be:
DVRing/timeshifting live TV
3D
Creating and storing encoded DVDs/Blu-Rays
PC gaming on TV

So far I have:
Wii
2x 2TB hard drives
Full size DVD-RW

The TV and surround sound will come later, no room to fit them in my bedroom yet.

As of right now, the budget is up in the air, ideally ~$500 but can be stretched, just nothing extravagent. I'm also willing to wait if Fusion is worth it.

And the three setups I keep bouncing between are:

#1: All-in one
i3+H55/Phenom 2 + 890gx/Fusion running Ubuntu with XMBC/Boxee software (not sure which yet)

#2: Separate front and back end
Get something minimal like an Atom or a dedicated streamer box, with a file server for my media.

#3: no HTPC
Just buy a streaming box and/or internet ready Blu-Ray player, and build a file server.

#2: Separate front and back end
Get something minimal like an Atom or a dedicated streamer box, with a file server for my media.

#3: no HTPC
Just buy a streaming box and/or internet ready Blu-Ray player, and build a file server.
One of these two, or sort-of both. Something like a Roku box would be great, and fairly cheap, thus fulfilling your HTPC requirement for your front end. Then just put together a cheap NAS rig using something like FreeNAS. Even low-end gear would be fine.

Back