• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low FPS in Everquest 2, normal or bad drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peeved Kitten

Not sure if my card is having issues or what, some comparison would be good. With my 6970 FRAPS reports around 30-40 fps in Everquest 2 completely maxed out. When flying/moving it drops to around 15-17. None of this is stuttery at all, it actually looks perfectly smooth. I have triple buffering and vsync on.

I don't have another card with a bit of punch so I was hoping someone could tell me if this is normal and it *is* just that graphically intense, or if I'm low. For reference WoW maxed out runs at about 120fps.

Anyone with a 6950/6970 play EQ2 and could give me numbers?

From what I remember when playing MMORPGs, they would run roughly the same FPS wise within the same generation. Having said that, there may be a problem.

FRAPS may be reducing your FPS while running/recording, but not otherwise. There should be an option in Everquest to show your FPS. See what it's putting out without FRAPS running.

WoW is no joke when it comes to graphic intensity. When you are getting 120fps, where exactly in the game are you? Like, in a city with lots of peeps, or out by yourself killing something?

Lastly, I'd give you some EQ2 numbers, but I don't play. Sorry bud! :(

Edit: Are you using the latest driver(s)?

Yes, I am using the latest drivers.

120fps in WoW is while exploring new zones with my wife. It seems to sit happily in the 116-120 range, but will drop to 80 or so during heavy action. Dalaran FPS in the 60's-90's I think, I was there briefly and it was late.

What screen resolution do you run in-game for EQ2 and WoW?

Have you looked into any of the video settings in EQ2? Perhaps there is a setting or option that the card is having issues with.

Also, what was your FPS when you quit FRAPS?

need to turn down the complex shader distance.

actually this guide works very well to get max visual quality / best performance:thup:

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=17133
follow it dont skip steps, or go quickly, might want to do it in a graphically heavy zone/spot :)

my personal preference is 45+ fps min, anything lower and you lose the realism, start to feel the laggy frame rate, you'll see what i mean.

Thanks for the link Tyrael, that's very good info to know.
(And welcome to the forums if I haven't said so yet ;) )

Peeved, I'd definitely check that out. Let us know how it goes. :)

Back