• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Summer project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, snowbrdd, this is quite the undertaking!

1. Google Sketchup. Check it out. It has literally hundreds of easy-peasy tutorials to follow online, and just after a few of the basic ones, you'll be able to crank out 3-D prototypes pretty quickly, with everything to scale.

2. Paper Mache, Toothpicks, Cardboard, and Copper Wire. This project has some fairly complex shapes and curves - might I suggest making some small models? Make a 1/4 size cutout of hard-drives, optical drives, and motherboards and make a basic frame out of copper wire, see how all the components will fit, and how all the weight will be supported. You can even make a little model person and chair to make sure everything will be the right height.

3. SATA Cables, if I'm not mistaken, are limited to 3 feet. Keep that in mind. Optical drives have a bit more leeway, in the sense that you can use USB instead of SATA, and then your length limit goes to 10 feet.

Err check out gtx 580 summer project. It will be easier to start with. and I have a few spare cases which I can cut apart to base partial models off of.

Back