• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy Bridge 2600K/2500k batch# and overclock thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some bios versions give you options but selecting one option like turbo boost can over ride some of your other settings. A user may end up thinking they have disabled something in the bios like EIST or one of the C-States but behind the scenes, the bios has turned a feature or two back on to allow the proper operation of Turbo Boost.

PolRoger: Thanks for posting your tests.

Very interesting "unclewebb" does this mean that CPUZ is due for an update and that v1.56 it is not actually reflecting accurate vcore readings with SB processors?

I was calling dynamic VID beacause I thought SB has the ability to adjust vcore on demand? The vcore settings with all the power features etc. take some getting used to coming from the Bloomfield/Nehalem platform.

Before your update I had noticed that coretemp was again showing moving VID reading tied to demand and wondered how it correlated to CPUZ vcore reading.

So in my screenshot at 4.5GHz load the CPUZ reading of 1.344v is actually being undereported and the true vcore load is 1.3711v?

Edit: I've re-read your post and missed the VID request voltage vs. actual core voltage.

Last edited:
Pol,

How's your voltage in bios compared to windows? I'm setting it for 1.275v in bios and i'm getting 1.296v in windows

Pol,

How's your voltage in bios compared to windows? I'm setting it for 1.275v in bios and i'm getting 1.296v in windows

To be honest I have found it challenging the past few days to fully grasp all the voltage settings in my combo. I have four different types of settings
"auto" "spec" "fixed" and "offset" Readings in Windows can change depending on EIST and the various C-states as well as if I disable or enable Biostar's version of LLC.

BTW post a quick screenshot showing your 4.6GHz oc running Prime load with CPUZ and the new version of Real Temp.

To be honest I have found it challenging the past few days to fully grasp all the voltage settings in my combo. I have four different types of settings
"auto" "spec" "fixed" and "offset" Readings in Windows can change depending on EIST and the various C-states as well as if I disable or enable Biostar's version of LLC.

BTW post a quick screenshot showing your 4.6GHz oc running Prime load with CPUZ and the new version of Real Temp.

Not at home atm. Will have it up tonight.

Questions for PolRoger.

In your first screenshot post (#9) you said you disabled Powersavings/Cstate/EIST in the BIOS. Doesn't disabling EIST also disable Turbo, and therefor overclocking?

Also, how did you get your overclocked CPU to idle @ 4.0/4.2/4.4 GHz etc. because (unless my understanding of SB overclocking is wrong) in order to overclock you need EIST and Turbo enabled, which would throttle back the CPU (to around 1.6 GHz) when idle right?

With my board if I disable speedstep than the turbo setting is disabled (greyed out) and I can't adjust the turbo multi(s). If I enable the turbo setting then I can adjust the multi(s). As long as both of these setting are enabled then I can turn on or off things like EIST or CStates. How the voltages are reported in Windows is also tied to which vcore setting I use ( there are four choices)... if I select "fixed" than the idle voltage stays constant accept for going up or down some based on load.

I am stuck at 4.9ghz, its actually very frustrating as well. I got 4.9 right off tyhe bat didnt even have to fight for it. now I just cant hit 5Ghz, not even with bclk.

I am stuck at 4.9ghz, its actually very frustrating as well. I got 4.9 right off tyhe bat didnt even have to fight for it. now I just cant hit 5Ghz, not even with bclk.

Is that 4.9 24/7 stable on air? If so, I am very impressed and I would love to see a screenshot priming or linxing with temps and cpuz screeny. You could be a determining factor in buying the chip for myself and many others.

Dom

Is that 4.9 24/7 stable on air? If so, I am very impressed and I would love to see a screenshot priming or linxing with temps and cpuz screeny. You could be a determining factor in buying the chip for myself and many others.

Dom

I know Miah got his to do 20 passes of LinX at 5.1GHz on air with the max temps 72/79/81/76 on the cores :shock:

I know Miah got his to do 20 passes of LinX at 5.1GHz on air with the max temps 72/79/81/76 on the cores :shock:

My goodness. These little bang for the buck 2600k's are kicking some serious hiney early on huh? I am still on the wall Matt, btw its good to see you at Senior! Congrats man! I havent been on here in a while.

Dom

Still would love to know if the HT is better than the older i7's in respect to games and such.

Has anyone tried some game benches with HT on/off?

Sorry, I got a little too excited. I thought Intel finally started putting actual core voltage in that simple to read register in their new CPUs but from the screen shots I've seen so far, I think it is only a VID voltage request register and actual core voltage can be different.

Part of the problem is that these CPUs, depending on how they are set up, can be very dynamic with the voltage and multiplier varying very rapidly. When this is going on, it can be impossible for any monitoring software that reads a sensor once every second or two to be 100% accurate. It may be accurate for that millisecond that it read the sensor but a millisecond later, the actual core voltage might be completely different.

These temperature sensors seem to have some error in them similar to Intel's other 32nm sensors such as the Core i7-980X uses so don't put too much faith in what they show. Intel never publishes the amount of error in their sensors or their calibration procedure so it's just a number.

My goodness. These little bang for the buck 2600k's are kicking some serious hiney early on huh? I am still on the wall Matt, btw its good to see you at Senior! Congrats man! I havent been on here in a while.

Dom

They're really efficient and have high stable OCs. SB on air can run with with LGA1366 on extreme cooling in bench scores. I'll probably wait for LGA2011 to replace my LGA1366, maybe then I can jump on a 6 or 8 core CPU, depending on price of course.

Thanks for the congrats! I was really surprised, it's just an honor to be among such great company :thup:

I took a look at the link, are all cores running at 5GHz it would seem some are doing less because of turbo boost from looking at individual core temps 98c 69c 75c 77c 71c?

I have some series concerns running 32nm 2500k 2600k at 1.5v 24/7 they have only been out for a few days.

Last edited:
Batch #L040B672

OC forthcoming, wanted to get this posted, before I get it covered up with a cooler.

Back