• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get the best out of my new Astro A40 headset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jakey

Registered
Hi. I have just bought some astro a40's and linked them to my ps3 via dogital toslink cable.
I want to also play games on my pc with it. Although my sound card on my pc doesnt have a digital slot. It only has the 3.5mm AUX jacks. The mix amp has a 3.5mm aux jack on it although i thought that the best quality sound was from digital optical cables.

My Asus rampage 3 extreme has an onboard digital optical slot but i want it to be plugged into my sound card for the best quality sound.

Please help?

I have the asus Xonar 7.1 PCI Express sound card if that helps.

Cheers.

Best quality will most likely come from the optical out as recommended by Astro. I purchased the HT Omega 7.1 Striker card from newegg and it cost me ~90 bucks total. I have really enjoyed the new set up.

I was like you originally running off the motherboard jacks or tos which doesnt seem to work with the Astros.

Also do you have the wireless version or the hard wired ones?

Let me know if you need anymore help.

one of the 3.5mm port is also the SPDIF optical output port. Plug that into your mixamp. If you have the xonar where the SPDIF and mic in is sharing the same port then you're SOL.

Last edited:
one of the 3.5mm port is also the SPDIF optical output port. Plug that into your mixamp. If you have the xonar where the SPDIF and mic in is sharing the same port then you're SOL.

So is there a special cable i need because standard 3.5mm cables arent fibre. Also which port would I plug it into on the mixamp?

Thanks for your help.

Back