• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Rig need some expert help :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

barbelas

Hello there, im new to the forum :) i've read some thread's here the last few day's...tbh i have never overclocked a pc before and i got my new parts today so if you could help me it would be great..

my new pc part's are :

m/b : ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA
video cards : 2x SAPPHIRE RADEON HD6950 2GB
cpu : AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T
hard disk : 2x CORSAIR CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT SSD 60GB
Ram : i have ordered these(havent got them yet) : Corsair CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 2x 2GB XMS3 Dual Channel DDR3 with DHX (2 pair's of those so its gonna be 8gb)

cpu cooler : Corsair Hydro Series H70
i got a enermax galaxy 1000w power supply from my older pc.

im going to flash the video card's to 6970 and crossfire them,i will use raid 0 with the ssd's ( never done a raid before but i have found some guides i dont think that will be a problem.i was wondering if i should o/c the phenom II ive heard that it is stable at 4ghz is it true ? then i really dont know about the ram's is it a good choise ? if it's not which should i choose ? if it's good should i o/c ram's too? any other advices for this RIg ? sorry for my bad english :(

:comp: i really love this site ;)

What are your overclocking goals?

Are you looking for gaming performance? What games?
Are you looking to do folding@home?
Are you looking to push your computer to the limits?

If you are just looking for a fast computer, just stay at 3.6

What are your overclocking goals?

Are you looking for gaming performance? What games?
Are you looking to do folding@home?
Are you looking to push your computer to the limits?

If you are just looking for a fast computer, just stay at 3.6

for gaming performance, well im playing all kind of games fps and mmo mostly.
like world of warcraft , black ops , bfbc2.. and waiting for some new games to test my pc :p

what about the ram's ?

:welcome: to OCF!

If you're looking for game performance then you'll want to OC. These CPUs reach 4.0 GHz fairly easily depending on the CPU heatsink. What heatsink did you get???

RAM should be fine but with 8 Gb you probably won't be able to OC them much, if any. cpuNB speed is more important anyway so I wouldn't worry about RAM for the time being.

When you get your machine assembled and running download and run OCCT or Prime95+CoreTemp for 5-10 minutes and note the temp toward the end of the stress test. That's your load core temp and it will be the biggest variable in how far you can overclock.

While you're waiting for parts you might want to read through this:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Hope to see your posts when you're ready to OC! :)

im going to use a corsair hydro h70 for the cpu.

is it better if i use 4gb of the ram ? i can sell the other 2 slot to my friend anyway :p , but im waiting for an answer if those ram's are available! if there are not available which ram should i go for ?

when the pc is ready im going to upload pics :)

I haven't found a game yet that has utilized enough ram to even use a full 3 (with other apps running) let alone needing 4+.. IMO if you're looking for overclocking for performance.. 4GB should be plenty for now and would likely allow you to gain a higher OC on the cpu

im going to use a corsair hydro h70 for the cpu.
You posted that plain as day - I just wasn't thinking.

is it better if i use 4gb of the ram ? i can sell the other 2 slot to my friend anyway :p , but im waiting for an answer if those ram's are available! if there are not available which ram should i go for ?
Almost any DDR3-1600CL7 RAM is good. Can't remember hearing anything bad about Kingston HyperX. Corsair Dominator's are good. OCZ Platinum or Reapers. The list is endless as long as you don't get the bottom of the barrel. :)

Back