• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does my onboard gpu still get hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Plumber

Hey O/C'ers, i need help.
A few weeks back i changed out my stock cpu fan and heatsink and in the process of doing so, i touched the smaller heatsink, it was way hotter than my stock cpu heatsink.
So i decide to look for an upgrade for it, not much on the net for my onboard gpu and my local frys didn't have anything for it.
So i decided to pick up a cheap video card and an appropriate psu.
The installation was simple for both.
My question is, Why is the onboard gpu still getting hot if i have the video card installed?
I checked the windows rating and it went from 3.0 to 3.7, what that tells me, is that the new card is being used, the new video card also gets warm, not nearly as hot as the onboard gpu.
I downloaded speedfan 4.42, it's telling me that my gpu is around 118F as i'm writing this, when i'm playing facebook games it jumps to around 130F with a little flame next to it instead of a red or blue arrow.
Yeah, i just admitted to playing facebook games, haha.
So, again my question is why is the onboard gpu still getting hot? :salute:

Please list the specs of you system:

Motherboard (make and model/version #)
CPU
Video card
RAM

Also what bios version are you running on the motherboard, A screen shot of GPU-z and CPUz would help also.

I have a HP pavillion a6110n desktop.
M2N68LA NARRA2 GL8E
Micro atx
AMD Athlon 64 x2 dualcore 4400+ 2.3Ghz
2GB
Vista 32bit
Nvidia GeForce 6150se Nforce430
Vista 32bit
Antec 550 Basiq
Asus EN8400GS
Bios PHEONIX TECHNOLOGIES LTD. 5.09 5-15-2007 SM Bios version 2.4
I need to try grabbing a screenshot, there's a how-to on the forum somewhere, i'll read it again and get back.

Last edited:
No dice on the screenshot, when i hit Prt Scr on my keyboard, all that happens is my arrow flickers.
I can list the temperatures how i see them though.
GPU: 118F
Temp1: 99F
Temp2: -198F
Temp3: 77F
Core: 79F
All five temps fluctuate depending on what i'm doing.

Last edited:
No dice on the screenshot, when i hit Prt Scr on my keyboard, all that happens is my arrow flickers.
I can list the temperatures how i see them though.
GPU: 118F
Temp1: 99F
Temp2: -198F
Temp3: 77F
Core: 79F
All five temps fluctuate depending on what i'm doing.

Once you hit print screen open up paint then hit edit and paste this will paste the screen shot into paint for you. You can find pic resizing programs on the net to shrink the size of the file I try to take them down to 11" wide and let the rest auto.

Back