• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing with the 890GXM-G65 (yeah I know it's a subpar board)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

someinterwebguy

After having so many problems with ASUS (I call them ASUCKS) boards over the last few years, which have produced situations that were both maddening and hilarious at the same time *in retrospect*, I decided to give a new vendor a try. I've used MSI boards on builds for 2 family members and haven't had any problems, but they aren't the type to push tri-core cpu's, let alone try any sort of OC activity.

My system (waiting for the ability to add a signature):
890GXM-G65 Motherboard
Phenom II X6 1090T (last stable speed was 3.8Ghz)
Corsair H70 Push-Push into case - Full speed.
8GB (2X4GB) Corsair XMS DDR3 2000 9-10-9-27
Palit Geforce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum Edition 1GB
120GB Corsair SSD
1TB Western Digital Green
Onboard Sound
Pioneer BDR-205
Antec 650w Tri-Cool
Antec PCI slot cooler.

So I started increasing the multi and had it stable @ 3.8. I was running additional stability tests at that speed and everything checked out, although I noticed CPU-Z reported the cpu voltage changing. Attempting a stability test at 20X 200 resulted in the computer going dead during the infamous "blend" test although the CPU never topped 3XºC.

It refused to even start up, only the "CPU in Phase 1" led lighting up when the power button was applied. Swapping power supplies showed no problems on that end, so I RMA'd the motherboard and am waiting for a new one.

Assuming it's the motherboard that blew (I would think the mobo would go before the cpu would with a setup like the H70), has anyone had any success with my motherboard on OC'ing a 1090T? I had disabled turbo and all the power saving features, etc.

Once the AM3+ motherboards come out, I will look into Gigabyte, as ASUS and Gigabyte seem to come with high recommendations.

Did you happen to attempt clearing the CMOS/BIOS before doing the RMA process?

Sometimes this sort of problem is indicative of attempting too high of an overclock too fast. For instance, I have had this happen several times with my own system when I have been attempting to tweak it to get better results where I would hit the power button but it would just sit there and I would get a blank screen, but after I would clear the CMOS it would work just fine.

Did you happen to attempt clearing the CMOS/BIOS before doing the RMA process?

Sometimes this sort of problem is indicative of attempting too high of an overclock too fast. For instance, I have had this happen several times with my own system when I have been attempting to tweak it to get better results where I would hit the power button but it would just sit there and I would get a blank screen, but after I would clear the CMOS it would work just fine.

I tried every trick in the book to get the board back into the land of the living but no dice. Thanks for the suggestion all the same.

Back