• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot from DVD/CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deweylee

Registered
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R... Hitachi 1TB SATA 300.....NEC ...UDMA33 E-IED/ATAPI..
New build. NOT ABLE TO BOOT FROM OPTIACL DRIVE. (DISK BOOT FAILURE),, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER..... CMOS.FIRST BOOT DEVICE [CDROM].....SECOND BOOT DEVICE [HARD DISK].....
Optical drive -set to slave.. Hard drive set to Master. System disk is loaded in optical drive. (Windows 7).. Hard disk is new,not formated.

#2.CASE POWER SW. INOPERATIVE.. HAVE DOUBLE CHECKED these conection numorous times in the Front panel header?????? WHAT JA THINK. THANK YOU.

Sounds like the Disc your using is a non bootable disk. You trying to put the operating system on?

If so what system disk do you have?

This "Windows 7.. 64 bit Home Premium" a full retail version or a upgrade?

Try setting your CD/DVD as master with he Harddrive as slave for now.

Double check the BIOS boot order to.

Oh didn't see the;
#2.CASE POWER SW

Got to have a OHM meter to check if the switch is working. Could be a bad wire from the switch too. Most likely through its you don't have the switch hooked up right. Sorry. Every time mine doesn't work on a new build it's me:screwy: but I have seen switches get pushed back in their holders and not work. Never came across a bad switch but it can happen.

Last edited:
it is windows 7 home premium full Version 64 bit. says to be used only with a new pc. Sorry can't find how to change from master to slave for the hard drive.. And the case power button was working with the first board that i sent RMA'd...leaves me thinkin i hav mo different problems with this board..

Full Version (not upgrade) will be bootable.
Theirs a jumper on the hard drive in the back. On top of the harddrive is a "Key" telling where to move the jumper. If not look on the manufactures web sight.

Apparently you have a working computer (the one your using to post) can you put the harddrive in it and try installing the operating system just to see if the disk is working. You might get away with moving it to your new computer (might) but I would do a repair on it first thing just to be sure it's set up right for a different motherboard. I haven't tryed that not sure if it will work but it may. At least you would know the Disk was working and it very well may be the motherboard.

With both the HDD and ODD connected to the IDE controller, make sure both of these options are set as such...

GSATA 8_9/IDE Controller [Enabled]
GSATA 8_9/IDE Ctrl Mode [IDE]

... which configure the Gigabyte controlled ATA-133 IDE port.

TY.. checker those setting they are as you sugested...AS far as the Hard drive ,master /slave, there are just two pins available for a jumper..try with n w/o the jumper and the results were the same in cmos set up utillity ..master both times...

seem the only way to get the hard drivre in slave mode is to connect a second hard drive which i did do but that made the DMI screen hang after it said Verifing DMI pool........
Boot from cd\dvd.. with just one hard drive installed the Dmi screen would continue and say DISK BOOT FAILURE..INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. Which i would do but i'd keepgettting theDISK BOOT FAILURE..INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

does your optical drive have settings for master slave and single? some do if not master on the end ide should work. Good luck!

Well... You got to figure out what is not working. Try putting the Windows 7 CD in your laptop and see if it will boot. Got to make sure that CD it self is OK.

Try burning your own bootable CD like Memtest or something and see if your computer will boot from that.

Got to figure out if it's the CD not working or OPTICAL DRIVE/Computer combo not working.

just ta let ya all know ... have RMA'd this MB ...asked for a refund went to my local FRY'S Got another MB,Same one, Will let ya know how this one works out ..... Thank you for your assitance... By the way Newegg is a top notch outfit.......problems with this board won't stop me from buying from them in the future .

just ta let ya all know ... have RMA'd this MB ...asked for a refund went to my local FRY'S Got another MB,Same one, Will let ya know how this one works out ..... Thank you for your assitance... By the way Newegg is a top notch outfit.......problems with this board won't stop me from buying from them in the future .

Thanks for the update. All sounds good, good luck:thup:

Well,,been busy.... got it up n runnin with the new board,,installed a sata dvd/cd with this new board ...Do ya think,,,just maybe this is what I shoulda used to begain with?????? ...... Still havin a problem with the case power switch ,,,not workin...need to look into that...... Thanks again people

Back