• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PPGA478 & PPGA479

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benscoobert

Not being a laptop cpu guru, I'm not sure what the difference is.

Can anyone confirm that the one on the left is a PPGA478 and the one on the right is the PPGA479?

Attachments

• mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,801
  • notmine.jpg
    notmine.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 4,458
I know what the chip I have is, the board is more of a mystery to me.

My cpu is like the one on the left, but the board accepts one like the cpu on the right.

Doesn't the board have a model# you can google? That should be able to tell you what socket it is if it isn't printed right on the socket itself.

Doesn't the board have a model# you can google? That should be able to tell you what socket it is if it isn't printed right on the socket itself.

I can get the board number today from someone, I just wanted to research it last night.

I think it is actually PPGA478 on the left and PGA478 on the right.

Seems I'll need to buy a newer CPU.

there are older mobile sockets using the same designation as in PPGA478 that were strictly P4-M mobile cpus. the latter with same PPGA478/479 were labled as you said and ment for core/core2/core2 duo cpus. here is something i put together that might help ya out, did this a long time ago for a gent at OCZF.

Lappycpusupportlist.jpg

there are older mobile sockets using the same designation as in PPGA478 that were strictly P4-M mobile cpus. the latter with same PPGA478/479 were labled as you said and ment for core/core2/core2 duo cpus. here is something i put together that might help ya out, did this a long time ago for a gent at OCZF.

Lappycpusupportlist.jpg

I think I'm going for the P7350 for now, thanks

take pics of the board, worse case take the hs off the chipset. it will be etched on the top of it... :)

according to what i come across on the net, that is the onboard gpu 9000 series. what model laptop did it come out of?

wow now that is weird... it is hard to say if it will support the newer core 2 cpus..

I'm meeting with a guy in the morning that used to build them before he moved on to the I3/5/7 version

I need a SATA DVD drive as mine was IDE despite tht HDD being SATA

So questions to be asked and brains to scratch while im there

I'm meeting with a guy in the morning that used to build them before he moved on to the I3/5/7 version

I need a SATA DVD drive as mine was IDE despite tht HDD being SATA

So questions to be asked and brains to scratch while im there

and he was off work with a broken hand, but we tested it with a P8800 and it booted fine

Back