• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bulldozer rumors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
actually the cost of the CPU is mostly based off the yield percentage of the die itself.

There is a slew of math formulas that determine the price of a CPU.

Like Dolk said, and I have mentioned before, we pay for the research, not the components of the chips. I mean technically we do, but do you think that a tiny piece of silicon, gold plated pins, PCB and a heatsink top cost $300? I think not. The costs of that, are around $10. We pay for the years and years of technology refinement and thought that go into the chips.

Like Dolk said, and I have mentioned before, we pay for the research, not the components of the chips. I mean technically we do, but do you think that a tiny piece of silicon, gold plated pins, PCB and a heatsink top cost $300? I think not. The costs of that, are around $10. We pay for the years and years of technology refinement and thought that go into the chips.

Yea that sounds about right.

I am definitely looking forward to this architecture!

Been on AMDs since the 486 dx-120, but now I'm on a wolfdale, I'm hoping to be able to come back to the fold one day :)

It's a very very vague screenshot, methinks deliberately.

Photoshop works well. You can even put in the text and values you want :shrug:
+1
and logos.
Means nothing really, ES samples were said to be released in December 2010 and production candidates by February this year. So Bulldozer should be out there in someones hands, and they aren't allowed or willing to say anything.

BTW here are the formulas to calculate die cost and other things.

Die cost.JPG

Information provided by Missouri Science and Technology Computer Engineering 313 Computer Architecture

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hoping it can at least beat Nehalem, compete with Sandy Bridge and that AMD's 22nm process is coming along. Intel's next "Tick" (Ivy Bridge) is just around the corner.

We can only hope that it blows away Intel's latest offerings.

Let's start a series rumor:
Tonka
Bobcat
Caterpillar

lol that'd be awesome.

Well for the sake of conversation I would guess that if BD is say up to 20% faster than a CURRENT 980x or SB in most situations (We are in the AMD section :burn:) it will be priced to undercut them plus anticipated price drop from Intel after release of the socket R SB-en 6c/8c chips in Q3. Regardless, I'm putting all my chips on the $450-$500 spot for 8c BD if it is competing w/ 980x/990x and on the $350-$400 spot for competing w/ SB-en :D

Well for the sake of conversation I would guess that if BD is say up to 20% faster than a CURRENT 980x or SB in most situations (We are in the AMD section :burn:) it will be priced to undercut them plus anticipated price drop from Intel after release of the socket R SB-en 6c/8c chips in Q3. Regardless, I'm putting all my chips on the $450-$500 spot for 8c BD if it is competing w/ 980x/990x and on the $350-$400 spot for competing w/ SB-en :D

And that equals win for us!!! :santa: :bday:

That pretty much means I will not be doing anything bulldozer related till the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back