• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bulldozer rumors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It's to be expected though. A whole manufacturing process and like a year and a half of R and D later, SB better have beaten the pants off of K10.5.

Can anyone link roadmap stating q2 2011?

I was told by AMD execs at CES just a couple months back it was q3. I keep hearing rumors it is sooner, but there aren't even any boards out yet. Did you watch sandybridge? There were boards availablebfor purchase a month or so before you could get the processors.

I don't have any insider info. But in my meetings, the guys from AMD said the roadmap was for Q3 2011. That makes sense with all the focus being on apus and fusion the past 6 months. We are only starting to hear official AMD chatter after the isscc conference last month, and that was design and architecture chatter.

Bottom line - a lot of people are expecting BD sooner than I am, Q3 2011. We should also see some boards before the processors drop - that is when you know its close... AMD works with channel partners so the platform is ready once the chips roll off the line.

I don't hard evidence at the moment because I don't feel like running through the 5+ page thread at XS, but I will post a link for anyone who cares to read up. :thup: Good info in there and a lot of debunked myths.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265710

I will try to see where it was said.

Edit: still looking, but this should be helpful...

15083115.png

Last edited:
Well there have been boards seen, but not very abroad. One of the bot contests prizes recently included a mini board for the new platform, and there was a MSI big bang motherboard spotted (i forget where) someone took a lil video of it. But it wasn't very presice on it's description. :shrug:

I feel it's Close-ish, they are probably ironing out all the problems so they dont end up having a "SB moment"

I think the Server version of Bulldozer is a Q3 and the desktop is a Q2. I think that info came from fud so take it with a grain of salt.

All this advance tech talk is way over my head from a non serious tech point of view comparing say against the current P-II's on a times (x) how much would it better than the current chips out from AMD 3x, 4x ????

I've not been on these forums in a while and so I've lost track on a lot of things I dont even know much about Bulldozer so will have to catch up, I'll have a lot of people asking to build PC's in the summer.

Angelfire, there have been no performance tests. No one has good indication of how it compares against current and offerings.

It would be hoped that they are competitive with sandybridge, as you can get a 2600k for 350. For amd to sell bulldozer, it will need to be in sandybridge performance range... the 980x/990x from Intel has crushed amd performance offerings, but and hasn't entered that $1k price range. Sandybridge is priced where bulldozer will be priced however, so hopefully bulldozer measures up or crushes it.

Saying this in the interest of competition of course... amd is overdue to return fire, and the athlon XP era was good for everyone as it pushed Intel further also.

Since we're both being honest. I've run nothing but Amd through four generations of products (s939 -> sAm2 -> Skipped Am2+ -> Am3) and then recently joined the darkside. :chair: I must say though... s1366 kicks some major a**. :rofl: With all that said, Amd is my first love. I'll more than likely buy BD even if it's a flop. :shrug:

I sort of have you beat. My first AMD processor was a K6-2 400MHz (This revision was a tad slower than a Pentium II at 400MHz but hundreds cheaper). From there it was Socket A Athlon 700MHz, Athlon 1GHz, Athlon XP 1600 1.4GHz (this one was my most cost effective chip as it has so far out lasted anything I have bought before or since, six years, only to be replaced with ->), AM2 Athlon64 X2 3600, and now AM3 Phenom II x6.

Only Intel's I have ever owned were, my first computer 75MHz Pentium I. Then when I killed the BIOS I was given a new board with a 120MHz Pentium I. Then a few years ago I bought an ASUS EEEpc with a 900MHz Celeron M.

As for Bulldozer, I don't think I will have the budget to jump on the BD train this year. Also seeing that I just invested in the x6 almost six months ago I will let this stretch until BD is a few revisions in.

Okay. Placing order for i7-970 now. :( (or is it :)?)

This will be my first Intel rig since the celeron 300A.

Attachments

• Intel in AMD thread.JPG
    Intel in AMD thread.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 617
Do you guys think the 4-core BD will be faster than the 2600k? Im sure the 8-core will be. Either way IB will destroy BD I know it.

I think it (6-8 core) will be competitive with SB. I am thinking I will get one as long as it is not a phenom type flop. If there is no cold bug, I can see it being big with extreme cooling...
Rumors seem to suggest (when comparing to thuban)- faster per clock, faster clock speeds, + more cores. All on 32nm. Seems like it should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back