• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dell xp disc on a custom pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silve225

Registered
I am using a dell xp disc on my custom pc and my friend says that it slows down your computer when you do it this way. He says that i need to get a windows 7 system builders since i built my computer. Is this true??

I am not sure about slowing it down but i run xp pro and xp home with no problems at all and i hold my own on benching... I can't run win 7 because i don't think my rig could Handel it and plus xp is free for me and i can't afford win 7 right now !!!!!

You can't use a Dell restore disk on a custom computer.

I am using the dell disc right now and it works okay but my friend was telling me it slows down your pc. So should i get winds 7 for sytem builders

Technically speaking, that is not legal. You should buy your own copy. Beyond that, there is no performance difference.

i dont get a warnning and my comp been running it for 42 days now

It's not illegal as long as the keycode is only used in one computer even if it's a dell disk it can be used in any computer as far as Microsoft is concerned... I had the very same question and i called microsoft and that is what they told me , I use old keycode off different case without any problems..

do you know where i could buy windows 7 system builder 64bit the cheapest at

It's not illegal as long as the keycode is only used in one computer even if it's a dell disk it can be used in any computer as far as Microsoft is concerned... I had the very same question and i called microsoft and that is what they told me , I use old keycode off different case without any problems..
Actually, it is illegal, just as TempliNocturnus said. Dell OEM keys are only for use on Dell computers. You should read the user agreement and the legal documents surrounding it. It doesn't matter if the key is in use or not.

If he used a Dell cd to install xp, Im wondering if installed the Dell bloatware as well? That extra crap does slow down a computer. Was it an actual xp cd with a hologram or a disc that says dell os recovery disc?

So when i use the custom install while doing the upgrade it will remove all of the extra stuff dell provides. correct??

Back