• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hdd partition, guidence.Plzzzzz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deweylee

Registered
Windows7, two 1TB drives....First off I goofed up,I put my Operating sys. on a partition that had little room for growth.Getting warning from the system that the partition is to small.The system wont allow me to increase the size of C:\..I hav sence cloned my C: drive to a new partition (A) drive, which is much larger..Can I just switch Drive letters and expect the system to recognize and except the change, and not have any problems...? Will wait to hear from someone before I continue TY.:chair:

I dont think you can just change the drive letter while in the op system it wouldn't let you and I think it would cause more issues than it's worth really even though it would mean going the long way round a new fresh install would be best.

Saves just messing and waiting for the errors to come if any its what I would do anyways.

You might want to try expanding the volume outside of the running OS environment. Use a bootable utility like GPartEd, or slave the drive into another system. You could also use the command line diskpart.exe utility if you have a WinPE/BartPE disk.

If that fails, then you should look at capturing an image (looks like you've done that), deleting the volume, creating a larger one, and applying the image onto the larger volume. Since I'm not sure what you've used to capture the image, so I cannot say for certain whether you'll get desired results. Some disk imaging tools do a block-by-block backup of the drive/volume and will give you a partition with the same size as before when you apply it.

I generally prefer to use the ImageX utility from Microsoft to capture and apply images. This tool works on the file system level, thus allowing me to perform the partition creation and the image application processes separately. If you need to go this route and have a hard time finding the tools, PM me and I can see what I can do; it can be a somewhat in-depth process.

Ty for your responce.... I used a free program called EASEUS Todo Backup Home 2.0.... What would you say the partition size should be??

Last edited:
Ty for your responce.... I used a free program called EASEUS Todo Backup Home 2.0.... What would you say the partition size should be??

Really hard to say; it all depends on what you do and how many programs you need to install. 120GB+ seems to be a reasonable amount of space for most people. If you're a heavy gamer and want to have many games installed at the same time, you might want 300GB or more for you system partition.

Look into acronis disk director. It has a bootable disc which can enlarge the c part easily and quickly.

I would say 30gb would be sufficient as all downloads ,music and pics go to other drive . Maybe someone else can chime in but isnt it add 1MB per 10gig to have it read it a 30GB drive as opposed to 29.99 or 29.98 GB ? 30x1024=30720 MB so make it 30723 MB or 30724 MB . If that sort of thing matters to you .
When building computers for customers and they ask what size drive do I have , I tell them 30gig for OS and the rest for storage , sure enough they call me and say they have 29.99 GB .
Its just one of those little details .

now that I think about it 40 would be better , it gives you enough space for loading the essentials , and then some

Back