• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lamptron FC6 Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeckulz

Registered
Back in September I picked up a Lamptron FC6 , and have been very happy with it,
just kept seeing the eyesore that the alu-brushing was against the grain of my case.
DSC01548.jpg

DSC01549.jpg

So I took it out of the case, and removed the faceplate (4x socket cap screws on the faceplate) and cracked out the sandpaper.
Using 120g and some 400g DRY paper, a
solid sanding block (not soft),
a block of wood wrapped in masking tape- sticky side out
I stuck the back of the faceplate to the wood, and the wood to my kitchen floor.
Starting with the 120g on the sanding block making slow, firm movements in one direction, I started to change the direction of the grain.
After the block, I then sanded by hand to scratch the minor recesses before moving onto the 400g and repeating the above.

When all was done I got this
DSC01559.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

As you can see, the aluminium colour isnt a perfect match, BUT atleast now I can look at it and not cringe.
I now have plans to use a spare vented bezel (as shown) to make a new housing for the FC6 guts, but thats for another morning.

Definitely much better. Amazing how a moderately small change can have such a strong aesthetic influence. Job well done!

Back