• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After 6 years I finally upgraded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Special7

Just got back from microcenter, I got:
2uj4mxx.jpg

Should be a HUGE upgrade. Going to throw it together in a few, can't wait. :D

And for the bad pics here are the specs:
Intel Core i5 2500k
ASUS P8 H67-M Evo motherboard
OCZ DDR3 1033 Memory (2x2GB)

2500k is overclockable and you got H67 mobo not P67 ???, why would you buy 2500k not 2500 if you dont intend to overclock? if you do intend to overclock you need P67 mobo.

I can't overclock on this board? wtf wonder if microcenter will let me exchange it. Anyways I don't have a 24-pin or 8-pin capable PSU, all I have is the 20-pin and 4-pin, can I use them instead will it work at all?

Gonna return the board, but I still need my other question answered, can I use my 20 pin and 4 pin psu with a new board?

All mobos nowdays use 24pin connector so youll need new psu, you would probably need a new one anyways as anything below 500W would not be enough for SB and other modern hardware

Just returned the previous board, picked up the ASUS P8P67 Pro board. It was actually only $5 more than the other one, they never told me that. Got my system booted up on the first try, unfortunately this board has no ATA connectors so I am without my two optical drives and backup hard drives (2). Trying to get windows 7 on a thumb drive on my moms PC so I can boot from that and install an OS.

Board is a dud most likely, installed basic drivers ran really nice for an hour or so then I go to restart and I can't get to post, 3 lights just flash on the mobo. Tried different ram, psu and different hard drives and no go. From the customer reviews I read on this board a lot of people are having similar issues with this board, gonna see if I can't get a intel board or something this is a ton of bs. :(

Board is a dud most likely, installed basic drivers ran really nice for an hour or so then I go to restart and I can't get to post, 3 lights just flash on the mobo. Tried different ram, psu and different hard drives and no go. From the customer reviews I read on this board a lot of people are having similar issues with this board, gonna see if I can't get a intel board or something this is a ton of bs. :(

I seriously doubt all the P67 boards are duds. Probably just running the wrong voltages.

Not saying all P67 boards are duds just this specific model from ASUS, this will be my 4th run to micro center, good thing I bought locally shipping this back and forth would have sucked, for my first Intel system I am not too happy, maybe I should have stayed with AMD? lol hope this new board will work for me.

I've had one AMD system and four Intel systems as a main rig and I prefer intel. Things happen with new chipsets sometimes. It's not that Sandybridge is bad. It's very very good performance for the money. Excellent, really.

AMD definitely has the edge with their pricing. You can get much more bang for your buck in the sub $200 to 250 zone with AMD (Canadian. Surely US prices are lower). In terms of being a better performer without considering price though, Intel is currently way out in front.

Went to microcenter after work just got back, swapped out all components. Got a new i5 2500k, went from OCZ to Patriot memory and a MSI P67A-GD60 motherboard, lets hope this works for me.

Back