• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New memory upgrade affecting overclock settings(Need Help!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nighthawk34691

Registered
Hello everyone...im new to the forums and I really need help with this issue im having with my mobo. I just purchased 2 memory modules of Corsair CM2X 2048-6400 C5(5-5-5-18)800 MHz(total of 4GB). I have been running the same modules but C4(4-4-4-12)800 MHz only being 2GB. I had a hard time finding modules out on the market to match up my C4 modules so I purchased the C5's instead.

Here were my overclock settings with my C4 modules "before" I installed the new modules:
CPU/FSB freq: 310 MHz
CPU voltage: 1.475 volts
DDR2 freq: 533 MHz
DDR2 volt: auto
CPU<>MCP55 HT Speed:4x
All this on a Asus M2N32 590 SLI Deluxe with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+.

CPUZ was reporting with those settings that my memory was running at was 387 MHz with my CPU clocked up to 3.10 GHz(stock 2.01)
Ok, heres my issue....

When I installed these two C5 modules, I went in to check my system info and it showed that my system is back at stock settings, even though my settings above are still showing that in my bios!! I have no idea why it did that.. I have tried to change the CAS timings on the memory to 4-4-4-12 at 2.00 volts and I couldnt get it to POST.

Reset CMOS back to factory settings, and then tried to clock CPU/FSB to 250 MHz and left all memory settings alone and rebooted...POSTed successfully, but when Windows loaded, it STILL showed factory stock speed!! I am totally clueless as to why this is happening. I can put my C4 modules back in and can clock everything to the settings above, but change back to the C5 modules, and I lose the settings..
I did read somewhere I cant remember, that if you install 4 GB of overclockable memory, you might have to increase the NB voltage, but I have no clue how to do that without knowing my stock voltage base to start from.

If anybody knows why I am having this issue with this new memory, your help would be gladly appreciated!!! Thanks!!:)

It is kind of harf to understand exactly what you mean. Perhaps you could post a few screen shots of CPUZ with CPU memory and SPD tabs, so we can get what you mean.

What I am trying to find out is why my system clocked BACK to STOCK speed AFTER I installed the new memory on its own, even though I made no changes in my system bios. Do I have to configure something else in my bios(adjust NB voltage, DRAM voltage or something) to be able to clock my system to the settings that I was running at before I installed this memory? I did update my bios to the latest version by the way.

Memory settings are detected by bios at first boot, changing memory without entering bios and srtting to auto to redetect spd settings will usually result in not booting at all. It might be that the mobo enters an error state and will not boot except to default settings(no way to know because mobo is not listed). Resetting bios should fix this but,, The newer memory will probably not boot to cas 4 because it is not supported in spd settings. Enter bios and set memory to auto, then reboot. Return to bios and increase cpu settings.

Here is the CPUZ info you requested. This info is with my NEW memory installed(5-5-5-18 C5). Shadowdr... I did everything that you stated in ur last post.. System boots fine when everything is set to auto, and when ive reset my bios and then try to do just a little overclocking on my CPU, it will boot fine, but only shows stock speed and not the speed I set in my bios.

Ive seen in other posts that this particular memory module CAN clock at 4-4-4-12, with voltages set at 2.1. I havent gone that high yet in fear that I might burn them up. Not sure if I have to bring my NB voltage up also to stablize the system, cuz apparently something is not letting it boot to the settings I have set in bios. I do believe I can get this system overclocked back the way it was before I changed out the memory, but there is something that is keeping my system from clocking up to the speed I would like, other than the stock speed its running now.

Take a look at CPUZ info and see if anyone sees anything wrong here. Thanks!

Attachments

• CPUZ.pdf
    268.2 KB · Views: 145
:welcome: to OCF!

I know working attachments and pics is sometimes difficult so here you go.
:)

T1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
T4.jpg
T5.jpg

PS
OK, after looking over your situation I have a question. Have you reset the CMOS from the board or did you only select "Load defaults" in BIOS then reboot? IF you haven't actually reset the CMOS using either the motherboard jumper or by pulling the battery then I suggest you try that.

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome and help on the attachments..

Yes, I have reset the cmos throught the jumper and also I have just repaced my cmos battery and let the board die for about 10 min before I put the new battery in. I manually went in and set the memory timings to the specs on the modules and then tried to up my cpu/fsb frequency and voltage and rebooted and still shows stock speed. I even called Asus for support and they couldnt even give me any answers as to why this memory will not allow the system to overclock.:(:bang head

Have you tried changing the divider when raising the fsb? This memory may not be able to overclock like the other.

Ok, I just got off the phone with Corsair and they confirmed that the issue is I am not getting the correct cpu/dram ratio when trying to overclock my cpu. He made it aware to me that I had to find the correct cpu/dram ratio when overclocking that would allow my system to run stable. Just as I was on the phone with him...I started slowly stepping up my cpu/fsb frequency and low and behold, I am already up to 210 MHz.
He said I shouldnt have to mess with my dram voltage unless I plan to overclock the modules themselves, but I HAVE to stay at 800 MHz or below in order to run stable.

I am completely confused when it comes to this memory ratio thing, when overclocking my cpu, so if anyone can help out with how I can get the most out of my cpu with this new memory, Id gladly appreciate it!! Thanks!

It should be in the CPU section, jumper free to dram configuratin. There may be different ways that it is expressed in bios, don't feel bad this is common in bios configurations. Could be listed as 5/6 or 400mhz, 333mhz or even others but it should be the top line. which ever it is lower it one setting and reboot and check with CPUZ to be sure what it is. you can the up the fsb and recheck CPUZ untill you get the oc you want. If you have any issues just post back.

Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe

From manual e2697_m2n32-sli_dlx.pdf and page #90.

Memory Clock Frequency [Auto]
Sets the memory clock frequency.
Configuration Options: [Auto] [DDR2 400] [DDR2 533] [DDR2 667] and [DDR2 800]
THAT is where you set the Dram Ratio.

In post #6 above and graphic image #3 the memory is being auto detected by SPD as DDR2 800 and when you raise the FSB the memory is overclocked upwards from its' rated speed of DDR2 800 or is being overclocked as the Bus Speed is raised. You get to FSB of 210 pretty effectively you said but beyond you have problems. So Drop the Memory Clock frequency to [DDR2 667] in bios and see what happens. That will keep the memory below the [DDR2 800] Speed.

There maybe other changes that have to be made since you no longer are running 2gigs of ram but now 4 gigs and those two situations are n0t equal to each other.

:welcome: to OCF!

I know working attachments and pics is sometimes difficult so here you go.
:)

View attachment 90164
View attachment 90165
View attachment 90166
View attachment 90167
View attachment 90168

PS
OK, after looking over your situation I have a question. Have you reset the CMOS from the board or did you only select "Load defaults" in BIOS then reboot? IF you haven't actually reset the CMOS using either the motherboard jumper or by pulling the battery then I suggest you try that.

Ive got new CPUZ info to post on my latest settings.. QuietIce...how did u get CPUZ in a post without having to make it an attachment? thanks!

I did make it an attachment. First you upload the image using the Manage Attachments button. Then you use the paper-clip (located next to the smiley) to locate your uploaded attachments in the post. This will also resize the image as needed.

Mostly, though, it's a matter or uploading the image instead of putting the image into a *.pdf file. I was very leary about opening that. Nothing against you but e-bombs can be hidden in those.

Ok, here are my updated overclock settings. I finally figured it out with the help of you all on your replies. Thank you very much for the help. I had to drop my memory divider to 667 to reach this level of clock. As soon as I tried to clock up another 100 MHz, it wouldnt POST, so I then lowered the divider to 533MHz, then I was able to get to 270MHz cpu/fsb speed. I then tried to go to 290MHz cpu/fsb, but then failed to post for some reason.

Right now as you can see, I am at my threshold of being able to run at this speed with my ram running at 433MHz. I also checked my ram clock speeds through my Nvidia control panel and it shows im currently running at 866 MHz. I had to up my ram voltage to 1.9v to run stable. Getting ready to run Prime 95 for awhile to see how it performs.

I wanted to get up close to 300 MHz cpu/fsb at 533MHz divider but I just couldnt get it to post. I guess where its at will be good enough eh? Thanks again for the help fellas!!

PS--I tried to resize attachment through the paperclip button, but it wouldnt let me or I couldnt figure it out, so I left it as an attachment...sorry. I do understand the f-bomb issues with attachments, but I can assure you that this is a clean attachment.

Attachments

• CPUZ.pdf
    244.2 KB · Views: 56
Is there another divider that you can drop to? I reread your first post that said the fsb was at 310 and the ram was running at 387, so it must be capable of another divider. The ram should be able to underclock that amount so you can run it at 3.1 like it was before and without any extra voltage.

Is there another divider that you can drop to? I reread your first post that said the fsb was at 310 and the ram was running at 387, so it must be capable of another divider. The ram should be able to underclock that amount so you can run it at 3.1 like it was before and without any extra voltage.

The 310 fsb was with my other C4 modules.. I tried to run these clocked at 533 MHz at 290 fsb without the voltage increase, but it would not post. The highest I was able to get these is 270 fsb at 533 Mhz divider...thats it....anything higher than that at that memory divider just wont work...not sure if I have to throw more voltage to em or what, but I cant figure it out.

btw-- QuietIce... I tried to take a screen shot of CPUZ but I just saved it as a pdf on MS Word and uploaded it from there...im sorry if you dont want to open another pdf attachment, and I perfectly understand...but I dont use forums that much so I dont have much experience with uploading and resizing images and such on here....sorry!

You don't even need to resize the image, just attach it and use the paper-clip to position it in the post and the forum will resize as needed to fit anybody's browser width just like the ones I did above. The print screen key and MSPaint is all I use - too simple. ;)

BTW - You can open more than one instance of CPU-Z at a time so you can capture all the tabs at once, assuming your screen resolution is high enough.

As far as your RAM problems go I can't believe the RAM won't run at 337 MHz (DDR2-674). Are you sure you're relaying those numbers correctly? See if you can't post a single shot (image) of the CPU-Z Memory tab - something's not right somewhere.

Last edited:
The 310 fsb was with my other C4 modules.. I tried to run these clocked at 533 MHz at 290 fsb without the voltage increase, but it would not post. The highest I was able to get these is 270 fsb at 533 Mhz divider...thats it....anything higher than that at that memory divider just wont work...not sure if I have to throw more voltage to em or what, but I cant figure it out.

Yea, I get that, the ram is already at 433mhz using the 533 divider. So now go down one more divider (guessing it is 400mhz in bios) but with the original sticks of ram it must have been running a 333mhz divider . With the 310 fsb you would be running the ram at 387mhz using the 333 divider.

Back