• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M4a785-m boot problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weazle23

I bought this barebones kit from tigerdirect. When i it i first got i put everything together started it up and installed windows 7 64 bit. Worked fine for about an hour then started giving me random bsod. Now it won't even boot. It goes to the repair windows screen and if i hit start windows normally it just reboots. My specs are AMD Phenom X4 985, 2 Centon 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz, RAYGO ATX MID-TOWER W/ 450W PSU, and WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 64MB/SATA-3G. Im a complete noob to the overclocking options on this board. Ive tried just using one ram at a time with same results. And pulling battery to clear cmos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCF!

I guess I'm missing something here - what have you done to overclock it?

This is a new build so the first thing you should do is run it through some paces. Reset the CMOS so everything is stock then run OCCT for 30 minutes to make sure all is well and to get a baseline on your load core temp. When you find your load core temp let us know what it is. It's possible you're already having heat problems.

Also, not sure what you were trying to type but there is no 985 CPU. You might want to check that and see what you're running for sure. ;)

Sorry about that its a phenom 9850 cpu. I left the bios stock. It booted and ran fine for the first hour then started the random bsod. Now it wont boot past the windows failed to start screen. I will try the occt test.

it installed fine without any problems. actually i did do something to the bios. when i first started it up it said press 4 to unlock all cores.

Have you reset the BIOS (jumper or battery pull) since you did that??? What you did was invoke whatever core unlocking scheme the manufacturer has built into that board. The problem, of course, is that you already have an X4 so there are no cores to unlock. It's very deceiving the way some board manufacturers do that - and it often causes problems. :(

ok what do i need to do to make occt bootable on a flash drive? went through the cmd then the diskpart to make the flash drive bootable on another computer.

Yes i unplugged the computer moved the jumper to the other 2 pins and left the battery out for 10 hours while i was at work. Still did the same.

Just checking. I've seen that more than you might think and sometimes the result isn't pretty. But since you've reset since then it shouldn't affect anything now.

Not sure what you mean about OCCT. I always run it from Windows. It's not important anyway if there's something wrong with the machine. It sounds kind of like a hard drive problem, since the Windows installation seemed to get scrambled, but it's hard for me to tell from a distance. If there was an obvious hardware problem, video card or RAM, you'd get beep codes when the machine starts. Since you're not getting those I'm not sure where to go.

The best thing I can suggest is taking the board out of the case, putting it on a cardboard box (the motherboard box is a good choice), then hooking everything up to see if you still have problems outside the case.

well i put it in another case formatted the hdd and reinstalled windows. everything seems to be working again. getting ready to run the occt program. will let you know the results.

Weazle. I am having video on my M4A785-M. And i bought it from compusa. and i am also using the samething as you. but compusa sent me and apveida power supply with a Xion cyborg gaming tower with 2 red led 120mm fans. and i have been posting no video from the onboard video card.and then the power supply buzz and then poop and it was died.
so i am resend the power supply and motherboard again to compusa. and it has the same cpu as you have, everything the same besides the power supply and tower.
maybe o should try another tower. if you did. maybe it is the tower that is making unhappy. lol. just thinking sorry.

Back