• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Picking AMD AM2 Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know if this is any help or not but I have heard that the 5600+ is a very good CPU to overclock on if you are going for cpu's. My 3800+ just plain sucks when it comes to OC'ing. My 6000+ with this motherboard on Dice got me 20 boints but it wasn't easy and I couldn't get anything over 251mhz on the FSB no matter what voltage/ht link/ram freq I threw at it.

Ranger, one thing you can do is download the manual for a mobo you are considering. Look at the BIOS section & see if it has any overclocking options. MSI used to be pretty good boards. I wasn't aware of their more recent DOA plague, but they do have a 3 year warranty provided you can wait out a RMA.

If you aren't sure, post a download link to the manual of a board you are considering.

Well i have no idea about anything with mb and this is all new to me, i am trying to put my best foot forward and run with it.. I have no idea what's good or bad , so please just spell it out ( i know i am a dumba$$) I have a budget about $70.oo now
Neither do most of us, it's not our usual area of buying and suggestions. The 790FX is the best and 790X after that. ASUS/Gigabyte, then Biostar, then MSI/ASRock, then junk.

Cheaper chipsets include 790GX, 770, and 785G. Boards are Gigabyte/Biostar (both the same level), then ASUS/ASRock/MSI/Foxconn (all the same level), then junk.

Newegg Open Box is the best idea for a good deal (and someone already gave you a good option there which you didn't follow up :shrug: ). You may not get cables or a dust shield but you'll get a good board for much less money that way. You should also look through our Classified Section if you haven't already: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Here's what I propose... Yes it's me again!

Try to scrounge together enough to buy an AM3 cpu... A 555BE is only $90 and that's only $20 more than your current budget.

Once you know you can afford that cpu shoot me a PM and I will send you the following, yours to keep at no charge, but you have to make the little effort and get the AM3 cpu on your own.

I know there are cheaper AM3 chips, but to be honest anything less than a 555BE would just be a major case of suck; and with any luck you'll get a 555BE that unlocks to a quad-core and then you'll really be set for a good while.

--- GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G ---> It's not the best overclocker by any means, but it has happily brought my 555BE to 3977MHz with the extra two cores unlocked and been able to run benchmarks there. I also added a bunch of these and these to the MOSFETs so they'll be a bit cooler than on the stock board.

--- CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) --> Not the best/fastest memory out there, but on that board and with my 555BE they will do 1720MHz without a problem.

The items above have been in daily use for the past three or four months and are in perfect working condition. I was going to retire them now that I got better components coming in, but they'd be better off being enjoyed by someone else than sitting in my closet collecting dust.

Does that sound like a good deal?

Let me know
Sebastian

Last edited:
Here's what I propose... Yes it's me again!

Try to scrounge together enough to buy an AM3 cpu... A 555BE is only $90 and that's only $20 more than your current budget.

Once you know you can afford that cpu shoot me a PM and I will send you the following, yours to keep at no charge, but you have to make the little effort and get the AM3 cpu on your own.

I know there are cheaper AM3 chips, but to be honest anything less than a 555BE would just be a major case of suck; and with any luck you'll get a 555BE that unlocks to a quad-core and then you'll really be set for a good while.

--- GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G ---> It's not the best overclocker by any means, but it has happily brought my 555BE to 3977MHz with the extra two cores unlocked and been able to run benchmarks there. I also added a bunch of these and these to the MOSFETs so they'll be a bit cooler than on the stock board.

--- CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) --> Not the best/fastest memory out there, but on that board and with my 555BE they will do 1720MHz without a problem.

The items above have been in daily use for the past three or four months and are in perfect working condition. I was going to retire them now that I got better components coming in, but they'd be better off being enjoyed by someone else than sitting in my closet collecting dust.

Does that sound like a good deal?

Let me know
Sebastian

Well i just putting around the idea you said and i think i might take the deal because i don't have the money right now for the chip but i will be able to get by the 4th which means i will have to run my p4 for the wars... THANK YOU VERY Seba !!!! I was even looking at buying a mb and chip combo from newegg but really sure what i am looking at getting ,but i want to stay with amd though...:cry::attn::thup::clap::burn:

Another thought was buy an open box MSI 790XT-G45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD and buy some kind of amd chip and keep the 2x1gb crucial ballistix ddr2 800

list of amd chips i was looking at but it does not have to be these exact chips
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W
AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus 3.1GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cac
AMD Phenom II X2 565 Callisto 3.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop
AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition Callisto 3.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W

Oh i was going with msi because it has 790xt chipset in it but be can change at anytime and is a higher chip set number better ???

Last edited:
get asrock n68c-s ucc micro atx mobo.
it has ddr2 an ddr3 slots only 1 form of ram ata time tho.
unlocked my extra cores and quite got for oc'ing for under £40 on Amazon

Back