• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the mobo fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geeman74

i built a pc for gf and now it wont boot, i am not getting any beep when i turn on pc the fans start and i get no signal message on monitor, i tried booting with no ram in expecting a error beep and i have cleared the cmos.

the mobo is a asrock m3a785gmh am3, cpu is am3 3.2ghz and i has 1 2gig stick of ocz pc3 10666 gold series , the psu is a 850w not sure of make.

it was not overclocked and i was using onboard graphics i have tried my graphics card in and was still the same.

Maybe pull out the cpu and reinstall it. Maybe its not seated properly. Also the PSU could be a problem. Ive seen that cause many problems.

ill try that again done it on friday as part of diagnostic,
what i dont understand is that when i turn the pc on the fans start and stay on but the power button on the case will not turn pc off

You likely have...

Have the 24 pin ATX power connector attached to the motherboard, but do you have the 4 pin or 8 pin CPU power connector also attached to the motherboard?

Have the 24 pin ATX power connector attached to the motherboard, but do you have the 4 pin or 8 pin CPU power connector also attached to the motherboard?

yes i have the 4 pin plugged in.
the pc has been running for 3 month i should of stated this earlier sorry

I'd suspect the PSU first. I've seen too many rigs act just like that when the PSU shoots craps. Got another you can use to test it?

This.

I do PC repair/builds/etc on the side (don't we all? ;) ) and 9 times out of 10, it's the power supply.

On a side note, it often seems to correlate with the same computer not being hooked up to a UPS :shock:

Back