• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows xp and windows vista currently, where is the cheapest place to get 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigsmooth1081

I am in need of windows 7 for two computer, one is running vista the other xp...is newegg the cheapest place to get it for the 64 bit version at $100 a wack?:shrug:

If you are a student google around for student upgrade deals or check with your university etc.

Otherwise: Newegg at $100 a whack like you said.

If you had a 3rd computer I'd say get the $150 Family 3 pack of upgrades: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade-Family-Pack/product/87DFFF11 Which at times durning the holidays got down to $125ish in price. EDIT: Amazon still has it for $125.

Edit some more: If you're current computers are running retail versions of XP/Vista it might be worth going the upgrade route rather than the OEM Win 7 route, because then you are free to move it to another computer in the future.

Also keep in mind if you go with the upgrades you can do a clean install using the upgrade media so its not any more difficult and the OEM copy should you need to reformat in the future (ie you don't need to install XP then upgrade it, you just install Win7 directly).

So definitely going with the OEM version of 64 bit from newegg is certainly the way to go?

Right now I would say yes. A few days ago amazon had the upgrade on sale for the same price as the OEM in which case I would have said go with the upgrade.

So the only difference between the OEM and an upgrade is I can move it from one computer to the next?

The OEM copy you are required to provide all tech support for yourself. The Upgrade copy is considered retail, which means MS will provide some support (useful if you lose the disk), plus yes the benefit of being able to move it to new computers.

However being an upgrade you need to already have xp or vista on the machine you are going to move it to. You mentioned already having XP and Vista. If they are OEM copies unfortunately they are locked to the machine they are currently on so having a retail upgrade copy of Win7 doesn't do you much good (as far as moving from machine to machine). However if your XP and Vista are retail (or if one of them is) you can move it to a new machine along with moving your Win7 upgrade to a new machine.

Basically it comes down to: Retail XP (or Vista) + Win7 upgrade = Retail Win7
At least for the purposed of moving it to a new machine later.

I still think I should get one free just because I have to deal with this Vista Crap!

Back