• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gpu Load 100%, Lots of memory used on idle.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

APhamX

Registered
Okay, I used to be able to play starcraft on medium settings with the Nvidia 8600GT (can't find a cheap ati graphics card >:L) but now I lag like crazy. I don't know what's wrong. Even when I play League of Legends on 1600 x 1050 all low settings I barely get 10 fps. I used to be able to get 60 fps in 1080p but now I lag like crazy?! I scanned my computer with malwarebytes and bitdefender, no viruses and I even turned game mode on.

When I turn on the computer and check the gpu memory usage it was using 100 MB, and I only have 256 MB. Is this normal for windows to use 100mb of ram when no apps are running?

GPU is 55C on idle. 80C Full load. 90~100C overclocked (yeah.. I'm not ganna overclock it anymore, just leaving default..)

see if there is any background programs/processes running thats using the gpu

Like I said, its on idle. And nothing is using the gpu. I'm not folding @ home or anything either.

Asus Sabertooth x58
Intel i7 950
Corsair XMS3 8gb 1600 Mhz DDR3
Western Digital Sata 3 1TB Caviar black 7200 rpm
Corsair 750 watt certified CPU
Antec 900 case
Cool Master Hyper 212+ cooler

IThe thing is.. after I updated windows this started to happen. And I have the latest update for the GPU.

i would say try safe mode but then games won't load,
try installing the latest drivers

EDIT
oops, you already have latest update

EDIT #2
yeahi think 100mb video ram usage is normal
im using 1366x760 and using 70mb, if your using 1080p then yeah its normal
also diehrd is right i suggest you try what he suggested

Last edited:
I would suggest you pull the heat sink of your GPU , clean heat sink and fan and apply a good thermal paste. Then see how it runs , it sorta sounds like it could be a heat issue !

I would suggest you pull the heat sink of your GPU , clean heat sink and fan and apply a good thermal paste. Then see how it runs , it sorta sounds like it could be a heat issue !

I reapplied thermal paste (arctic Silver 5) took out the dust and screwed it in. Only dropped by about 3-5 C. Hmm...

You have a different card you can toss in to see how it works ? My sister never dusted her computer out as i told her to and her video card overheated and caused lots of issues and died shortly after i cleaned it up and applied new paste to it ..

Heat will for sure cause serious problems :)

You have a different card you can toss in to see how it works ? My sister never dusted her computer out as i told her to and her video card overheated and caused lots of issues and died shortly after i cleaned it up and applied new paste to it ..

Heat will for sure cause serious problems :)

I want to get a new one :( was about to get the radeon 5870 but decided I could wait. I regret it D:. Sadly I don't have an extra .

see how the fan is working for your card, also do you have enough ventilation in your case?

see how the fan is working for your card, also do you have enough ventilation in your case?

Antec 900. Yea I'm pretty sure there is enough. However the PSU fan is blowing AT the gpu...

Antec 900. Yea I'm pretty sure there is enough. However the PSU fan is blowing AT the gpu...

great, check the gpu fan, what if its dead? that happened to me once
btw the psu sucks air, unless you changed the direction (which isn't a good idea)

Set PSU in such a way as to have it exhaust out of case .. No wonder your card was hitting 100c

Set PSU in such a way as to have it exhaust out of case .. No wonder your card was hitting 100c

uhhh... If I flip the psu... There isn't anything to blow air out to. I would have to cut a pretty big hole in the case.. but the thing is. If I don't overclock the card, it is only at 80C max load. But heres the thing, I lag in games playing League of legends (its like warcraft 3, low demanding games) 720p with everything on low and I only get 10fps. I used to be able to hit 60 fps on max.. Something went wrong.

Sounds like the video card has some sort of voltage problem.... the VRM on it might be going bad and giving your GPU high voltages as a result causing it to overheat when idle and then lag when playing games....

Given that it's an 8600GT... look for swollen or bulging caps on the video card. THe capacitors should be flat on top.

It is over heating at the very least . Cant you take case side off and set psu out of case to see if card cool off any better the 80c

I don't see any problem with 80 degrees, but you may have damaged the card when you overclocked it you said it reached 100, now thats pushing it a bit. Might be time for an RMA if possible or replacment.

I don't see any problem with 80 degrees, but you may have damaged the card when you overclocked it you said it reached 100, now thats pushing it a bit. Might be time for an RMA if possible or replacment.

Rma a 4 year card? :p I have to find a new current gen card. But unfortunately I can't find a cheap 5870 :rain:

Back