• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The final verdict on Gulftown vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Okay, so I recieved my new used 970 yesterday.

First off, I have to say that even at 4ghz with 1.35v this thing runs as cool or cooler then my e8600 @ 4.3ghz lol :)

Now.. From what Ive seen, 1.35 seems like a bit much just for 4ghz, but thats what it takes, and it runs cool :) But I know there is room for more.. Lots more! But google has been showing me that 1.4v is about as high as I can go safely.. Is this true?

Are you supposed to be able to choose qpi speeds on a non ee chip?

Edit nvm Im a tard I just found out its normal.. sorry my last chip was an ee so I thought just they could do that :p

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 271
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
My i5 750 I think cap was 1.45v (45nm) to be safe. I'm pretty sure the 32nm were to stay under 1.4 since running high voltage was bad, but again I think a lot of it depends on cooling. Since 99% of all I5/I7 users have air coolers there isn't a large sample size of people trying to go higher with better cooling.

1.375 (As set in bios before vdrop, LLC off) is Intel's official maximum, and for 24/7 use I would stay at or under that level, personally.

You may be able to get away with less voltage, it's worth trying.
My 980x does 4060 at 1.25v.

I really want to try one of these.. I wish I had the cash to pick one up temporarily.. I think it should run close to what the 980x is, being that they are near identical other than the locked multi..

You sure that includes the 980x? It and the 970 are a different process then the rest of the 900 series.

Well I figured the 970 is the 980x but with a locked multi.. I haven't really looked to see what else about them there is that is different.. Both are 32nm hex cores.. Who knows!

It really is a nice cpu to use, my last one was a c0 and I havent even tried a d0 :D

Im waaay over that voltage right now, I guess I should back off then.. I ran some IBT and a bunch of futuremark stuff at 200x21, I cant seem to get away from the voltage tho because I am useing 1.425v and around 1.25vtt :(

Its running cool tho, with IBT I was seeing temps in the low to mid 70s with my current settings. Id see that easily at 4ghz with my 965 and 1.40625v :D

I havent tried with ht off yet, still kinda seems like cheating :bang head

Edit:

And after running all of the futuremark stuff temps hung out in the high 50s to low 60s

Edit: was nowhere near 1.35vtt, closer to 1.28ish

Last edited:
1.375 (As set in bios before vdrop, LLC off) is Intel's official maximum, and for 24/7 use I would stay at or under that level, personally.

You may be able to get away with less voltage, it's worth trying.
My 980x does 4060 at 1.25v.

I saw they said 1.375, but that is the vid range, meaning thats the max the board will feed the chip when everything is set to auto, tho the chances are slim it would set it that high, even when the cpu is overclocked. I did some experimenting with that when I was useing my 965

freeagent, we should find a day where we can get together and try your cpu in my mobo. i'm downtown on edmonton st, right by assiniboine ave.

my 970 is a real champ. 1.275v as set in bios, 4200mhz, stock cooler, 12hr p95 stable. if we compare notes you may find some extra legs in yours. ;)

Sounds good to me hombre, hopefully they dont get mixed up when all is said and done ;)

:beer:

I work downtown, not too far from you :thup:

Haha you know Im kidding :)

I think Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that this is just a thirsty chip.. Its also old judgeing by the batch :D 3018A860

I am a bit hesitant to feed it voltage, but at the same time Ive seen a couple 980s that require the same type of voltage that mine does, ie 1.35 for 4ghz.. I think 4.2 is pretty much all shes got.. I let it fold for the night and it touched 70-75c with my good fans, so thats about all shes got I think. If I hammer it I could get her to go into the 4.4-4.5 territory, but Id be approaching 1.5v I rekon.

yeah for sure not worth it at those vcore levels.

who did you get it off of if you don't mind my asking? not specifically, but was it originally a retail edge cpu?

Back