• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UEFI Driver for the RAID Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

solstice

I am preparing for a new major upgrade to the current system. So the main thing would be UEFI such that I can create a boot system that is larger than 2TB. I read that I will need to have a UEFI driver and use that to create a UEFI clean Windows system. Does anybody have any experience with creating a boot drive with larger than 2TB?

Which card have that available? How does the UEFI driver works? Do I put in the CD and install on the UEFI system?

Keep in mind that I will only be using Desktop system and a server system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

On a side note, do you need driver for video card? I don't think so, but just curious.

I don't think UEFI changes anything, that is basically the replacement for the BIOS. The boot order/procedure should still be the same. Make sure the OS has the drives/modules to be able to read the partitions and install the OS.

I don't have a UEFI board to test this with, but I can't see it being too different.

I finished my research. It seem to me that only LSI MegaRAID and Intel RAID card includes UEFI driver. I also looked into a biostar motherboard manual. I saw the UEFI command prompt. I should be able to use that to install UEFI driver for the controller and then boot with it.

After this, I have decided to push back my upgrade. I am hoping there would be more card with that driver built in such as the Adaptec 6805 series.

To answer a previous post, the UEFI does change the way the disc controller are initialized. In essence, the driver layer allows more capabilities in UEFI to detect configuration and boot accordingly. Otherwise, you are still in legacy mode. It makes an important difference in booting faster and > 2TB drives.

I finished my research. It seem to me that only LSI MegaRAID and Intel RAID card includes UEFI driver. I also looked into a biostar motherboard manual. I saw the UEFI command prompt. I should be able to use that to install UEFI driver for the controller and then boot with it.

After this, I have decided to push back my upgrade. I am hoping there would be more card with that driver built in such as the Adaptec 6805 series.

To answer a previous post, the UEFI does change the way the disc controller are initialized. In essence, the driver layer allows more capabilities in UEFI to detect configuration and boot accordingly. Otherwise, you are still in legacy mode. It makes an important difference in booting faster and > 2TB drives.

Good to know. I only have 2TB drives nothing larger so I have not played around with it yet...

The only UEFI boot tags I saw on my drives, formatted or unformatted was my USB sticks. I just selected non-UEFI boot. I will have to look into this more though after cougar point gets rereleased.

Back