• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandybridge Chipset Design Flaw and Recall- MUST READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
great my mobo is due to be in tomorrow meh i only run 2 hard drives, if the ports start to fail il just get a pci controller unless they are gonna send the replacement board first lol i sold my 1156 board to get this one! :D

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...es-Chipset-Design-Error-Implementing-Solution

Damn I just bought a complete new system to replace my ancient Opty 165.

I wonder if I should RMA this ASUS P8 P67 pro or hold off till it and if it goes tits up.

RMA isn't going to do you any good as they don't yet have the new chips to fix them yet. I wouldn't particularly worry about it if I were you since you already have it. As the anandtech article mentions, even if you are using the 3Gbps ports its a statistical type of error where it may only affect a percentage of boards and not affect them for months or years. Just hang tight and enjoy your system. Eventually they will get it sorted out and send you a new board.

great my mobo is due to be in tomorrow meh i only run 2 hard drives, if the ports start to fail il just get a pci controller unless they are gonna send the replacement board first lol i sold my 1156 board to get this one! :D

If you only have 2 drives you don't even have to worry about it. It only affects the 3Gbps Intel ports. On my board for example I've got 6 other ports I can use before needing the Intel 3Gbps ports (2 intel 6Gbps, 2 marvel 6Gbps, and 2 jmicron 3Gbps)

Intel Identifies Chipset Design Error, Implementing Solution

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 31, 2011 - As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel's latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

source:http://newsroom.intel.com/community...es-chipset-design-error-implementing-solution

If you only have 2 drives you don't even have to worry about it. It only affects the 3Gbps Intel ports. On my board for example I've got 6 other ports I can use before needing the Intel 3Gbps ports (2 intel 6Gbps, 2 marvel 6Gbps, and 2 jmicron 3Gbps)

true forgot i have a sata dvdrw drive too :) and thinking about getting an ssd for my steam files but all the same id rather spend 40 bucks on a sata pci controller than rma and wait for a new board :D

If I'm only planning to use two drives for now, is it worth grabbing one before retailers pull them? Was hoping to get a build together during Feb.

If I wait and they get withdrawn, there will be a build up of demand for when they go on sale again and it may be ages before they are widely available.

on the positive side, it might mean prices of i5/i7s drops if there is tons of supply and no demand because of no motherboards?

This is most certainly uncool. I just installed on sata 3 ports. Joyous. Another reinstall.

Shouldn't have to. It's native support. As long as you switch to the intel-controlled 6G/s ports it should be as simple as swapping the cable (and maybe boot order if you have multiple drives installed).

Asus P8-P67 pro:

SATA 3Gb/s 4 ports
SATA 6Gb/s 3ports
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray) by P67
1 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue) by Marvell PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
SATA RAID
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Ok the 3gb/s ports are affected. I will use my new SSD drive on the Marvell port, put the 1tb hd and dvd burner on the Intel 6gb/s ports.

Move the other drives to my backup machine since they are backup files anyway and keep the 1tb external drive as my secondary backup.

I suspect in a month or so I can RMA and get a revision 2 board. May everyone else find a happy solution till this mess can be fixed.

I notice that NewEgg de-activated the Asus and Gigabyte SB boards. :(

On NewEgg, as far as 1155 socket boards, I'm still seeing Asus, AsRock, and MSI boards, but no Gigabyte boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Edit:
I was at my buddy's house over the weekend, and after hanging out and talking for a while he was thinking of upgrading his PC to SB. This morning he sent me an email saying he went for it:

1 x VGA ASUS|ENGTX460 DIRECTCU/2DI/1GD5 $179.99

1 x MB ASUS|P8P67 LE P67 LGA1155 R $129.99

1 x CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R $224.99

1 x MEM 2Gx2|GSK F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ R $47.99

He probably won't experience this error, but I still feel like an *** for suggesting this "awesome" new platform.

Asus P8-P67 pro:

SATA 3Gb/s 4 ports
SATA 6Gb/s 3ports
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray) by P67
1 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue) by Marvell PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
SATA RAID
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Ok the 3gb/s ports are affected. I will use my new SSD drive on the Marvell port, put the 1tb hd and dvd burner on the Intel 6gb/s ports.

Move the other drives to my backup machine since they are backup files anyway and keep the 1tb external drive as my secondary backup.

I suspect in a month or so I can RMA and get a revision 2 board. May everyone else find a happy solution till this mess can be fixed.

I would put the SSD and 1tb HDD on the Intel 6Gb/s ports.

Are DVD drives affected by this problem? If not I'd put that on an Intel 3Gb/s port and leave the Marvell controller disabled. If DVD drives are affected by this problem then use the Marvell for it.

The Marvell controller will add significant time to your boot times, so avoid it unless you really need it.

And later when you get a replacement board you can keep the SSD (boot drive) on the same Intel controller. Swapping your OS drive between different controllers can cause issues. Your DVD drive (or any secondary HDDs) will cope w/ it just fine, though.

I talked to NewEgg they said ASROCK boards are not affected?
How can this be its the same chipset?

He probably won't experience this error, but I still feel like an *** for suggesting this "awesome" new platform.

I wouldn't feel bad. The numbers intel is claiming so far (which its really early so obviously this could change) is that 5% of people would experience it over the course of years. The only way to experience it is by using the 3Gbps ports and even then there is a 19 in 20 chance you won't hit it. They will have replacement boards for everyone in a few months anyway...

Here's how I look it: I'm using one heck of an awesome system. All the reviews have Sandybridge winning in everything except for encoding tasks vs hexcores. I've had overclocking results suggesting I can run 4.4GHz-4.6GHz for 24/7 use and I've been able to get up to almost 5.3GHz benchmarking. I love my computer so far.
With them pulling motherboards from the market, I get to be in an exclusive group that gets access to this power? Sounds good to me.
Imagine if you were offered this: Hey buddy. Psst. Over here. Would you like to be part of a group that gets to test out some awesome performance computer parts that won't be released to the public until April, but you can have them now? But there's a catch, you're limited to 6 hard drives and this limit goes away in April. Do you want to sign up? Yes please!

I talked to NewEgg they said ASROCK boards are not affected?
How can this be its the same chipset?

Maybe they just want your money? Maybe ASRock start their manufacturing later and those batches are unaffected?

Back