• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for/if new GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sams

Registered
Hi all, as suggested I´m starting my on thread to ask for advice:

Would be glad to hear some opinions on uprading my GPU.

System:
CPU: i5-2500K @4.5 GHz
MB: Asus P8P67
PCIe
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 CL9 Kingston Value
PSU- Xigmatek 700W

Current GPU:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1024MB

Manly RTS like SCII, DoW II.
Also a bit MMORPG like WoW, I´m looking forward to the new Star Wars MMO.
Also Diabolo 3 is on the list.

Besides I´m also playing shooters, Call of Duty Black Ops, want to try out Crysis 2 also.

I´m quiet pleased with the card I have, but it lags a bit in performance regarding Full HD and gets also bit hot and laggy when using it for a couple of hours with 2 Screens.

I also use it for HC gaming, and the goal of the new system is to last for atleast 2 years.

Would be nice to read some of your opinions on upgrading yes or no and if yes to which card.

I personaly prefer Nvidia, but if you can convince me to an ATI ^^

Thanks Sams

Last edited:
What games does it lag in at 1920x1080 and with what settings?

Well, what is your fan profile set at? Maybe make it a bit more agressive with MSI Afterburner...

What is HC gaming?

With HC gaming I ment harcore gaming, means I play a lot :)

It lags in most of the games especially when shadows are set to high. Also the 8x Multisampling and 16x Antiisotropic are a bit laggy.

I never thought about the fan setting for the GPU.
My case is set to 800RMP on all 4 because of noise(2 Top, 1Back,1 Front)

MSI Afterburner works with non MSI cards,mine is from Captiva

At 1920x1080, I usually can get away with 4xAA (AF doesnt really cause a lot of slowdowns). But if you want to run those settings for 2 years, you need a better card.

I would say either 560 Ti or 570 and sell your 460.

What is your budget? $500 will get you Nvidia's top dog GTX 580

What resolution do you play at? If you like turning up the AA and play at a high reso you defenately need something on the high end.

Yes MSI Afterburner will work with other brands :) You could try setting the fan profile more aggressive and OC the 460 and see if that helps.

Last edited:
When turning shados to high I indeed experience low frames, about 50% lower.
The other problem is, that it doesn´t run smooth when I set AA to the max.

Ofc I could use my GTX 460 a bit longer, but I thought about upgrading because I upgraded my whole system. If the you advice me to wait, because newer cards are coming that will be a much bigger upgrade, I´ll do so.

HC = harcore, I only put this in my post because in the old thread they asked for it :)

Again, you likely dont need AA at "max" with 1920x1080. In fact I bet you couldnt tell the difference between 8xAA and above. So try it on 8xAA and 4xAA and see how it looks and feels to you.

Again, what budget are you looking at? What games are you experiencing these slowdowns in?

I generally don't go over 4xAA @1080p I can't tell the difference after this point, because the resolution already has pretty clean edges. I would get yourself a 580 since you like high detail and AA, if you can aford it.

Last edited:
Back