• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 Windows 7 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdeverett

I recently bought another seagate barracuda HDD since I filled my 80g way faster than I thought. I bought a 250g this time since since they don't make the 80g anymore. I have the RAID 0 array setup correctly in the BIOS and the RAID configuration screen (it says functional so I'm assuming it's working). When I try to install Windows 7, it recognizes the array i've set up but when I hit 'Next' it says"“Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information.” I've tried to use all the RAID drivers for my mobo (Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 7 32 bit, Windows XP, etc.).
Any ideas?

Oh, and here's my mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

I would try updating the bios to the latest (v17.8). Then using the latest drivers, select your OS (Windows 7 32 or 64) under the Motherboard/Integrated Video heading. Then click the Optional downloads then download the SB8xx RAID Driver for Windows 7. Now you will need to extract the driver manually (7zip works well for this). The folder you want is drive letter:\11-1_win7_32-64_raid.exe\$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\RAID\ inside there is 2 folders W7 (for 32bit) and W764A (for 64bit). Put the folder you need on a floppy or a Fat32 formated USB stick and that should work.

If hes doing that there is are a couple issues...

1. He will lose 150GB of that 250GB drive.
2. If that 250GB drive is faster, it will run only as fast as the 80GB drive.

Thanks for the info I'll have to give it another try when I get home from work. The RAID drivers I'm using are the most up to date, but I'll have to try the latest BIOS. Also, would it matter if I'm unzipping the drivers on a Mac (I was still able to find the W764A file)? Since my computer is obviously down, I'm having to use my parents'.

Yes I'm setting up a RAID 0 array with a 250g and 80g. I don't mind the 150g that will be wasted because I highly doubt I'll fill up 160g; if I do, I'll just go with the 250g hard drive and no RAID. The 250g is the exact same as the 80g minus the capacity. Latency is the same, RPMs, etc.

Have no clue if unzipping it on a Mac will matter or not. I wouldn't bother Raiding those 2 drives together, they are faster split apart. 80GB for OS and scratch pad, 250 Storage, just my opinion. Copying from the Raid to the Raid will be slower than coping from the 80 to the 250, also the latency of the Raid will be less than a single drive.

So to do that, would I just install windows 7 to the 80g drive? Then what do I do to get the 250g to be set as storage? Haven't looked into that configuration very much.

I would use the 250 as OS, and then move the pagefile to the front of the 80GB drive (dont install anything). You dont have to do anything to set it up.

Sounds simple enough, I'll give it a try when I get home and l'll let you'll know if I run into any problems. Thanks for the help.

Back