• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 cards & 3 monitors!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silencer51

Hey guys, a quick question:

Right now I'm running 2x5870s in CF with dual 26" monitors.

I found a great deal and I'm planning on getting another 26 incher for a tri-monitor setup.

Will I be able to use the 2 5870s in Crossfire?

Thanks in advance!

If you are using eyefinity 9.12 hotfix provides support for eyefinity and CF but if you are running three displays but only running game on one monitor there may be affect. (never tried)
Calalyst 10.2 release notes
"Support for ATI CrossFireX™ on Eyefinity configurations
The ATI Catalyst™ 9.12 hotfix release provides ATI CrossFireX™ support on Eyefinity
configurations, allowing users to take advantage of their additional GPUs for increased
gaming performance when driving high resolution Eyefinity display groups.
Supported on the ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 Series, ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series, ATI
Radeon™ HD 5700 Series, and ATI Radeon™ HD 5600 Series."
http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/catalyst_102_release_notes.pdf

Last edited:
does the latest Calalyst contain the hot fix? it was unclear when reading it. Are you sure he doesn't need an adapter? I know its supports dual monitors and eyefinity 3 monitor setups becuase it is treated as one display, but am unsure about using 3 monitors without eyefinity, becuase i believe it still disables CF in that situation, but still displays the screens.

Last edited:
All I know is that I have a 5970 and use the latest drivers and everything works fine. He does need a displayport to dvi adapter if his monitor does not have a displayport though.

Yes, but is it running in CF or is it just using the second GPU to power the third monitor? It may be differnt because of your Dual GPU as well.

Yes, but is it running in CF or is it just using the second GPU to power the third monitor? It may be differnt because of your Dual GPU as well.

You need to connect all monitors to the same primary card. Displayport and 2 DVI, or Displayport, 1dvi and 1 hdmi. But always use the Displayport in order to use Eyefinity. Also if your monitor dont have a displayport input then you will need a ACTIVE displayport to DVI adapter (yes only the ACTIVE one works).

It's a bit outdated, I know there's a ton of different monitor configs available, amd has it somewhere on their site but I can't find it.

"Does AMD CrossFireX™ technology work with AMD Eyefinity Technology?
Yes, AMD CrossFireX™ technology is now compatible with AMD Eyefinity technology.

Note: Monitors connected in a Display Group must be connected to the same graphics card."

http://www.amd.com/us/products/tech...-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx#crossfirex

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/set-up.aspx

"How many non-DisplayPort monitors can I use with an AMD Eyefinity technology-enabled graphics card?
You can connect up to two non-DisplayPort monitors at one time to an AMD Eyefinity technology-enabled graphics card using non-DisplayPort connections or passive DisplayPort dongles. To enable and drive 3 or more non-DisplayPort monitors at one time, the additional non-DisplayPort monitors must be connected with an active DisplayPort dongle."

Back