• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need recomendations for an OS drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyno

It's been over 4 years since I have bought a new drive. I am still running my OS on an old IDE 100 drive. I am putting together a new system and was looking for some input on a fast, reliable and quiet drive.

I was considering an ssd but I still have a hard time justifying $1 plus a gig. So those are the requirements. Would like it to be at least 1 TB as well.

A SSD would be the best OS drive. If you wanna go HDD, then you should look into the WD Caviar Blacks.

If it is just a os drive look into the smaller ssd drives, like the 40gb maybe even 60. they are affordable worth the investment and not gonna break your budget, then as for a data drive look into something like the samsung spinpoint f4, i have one and absolutely love it. It isnt as slow as you would expect.

I know ssd is the best way to go for an OS drive but I can justify spending that much on so little. I have had a few different ones in the cart and could never pull the trigger. Probably something wrong with me. I want the speed but some things I am just too cheap to buy.

I know ssd is the best way to go for an OS drive but I can justify spending that much on so little. I have had a few different ones in the cart and could never pull the trigger. Probably something wrong with me. I want the speed but some things I am just too cheap to buy.

Thats the same reason I went with a Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor. I to will switch to a SSD when the price drops a little more. I'm not in a hurry maybe this year on Black Friday their will be a deal. I really only brought that cause it was on sale for $99 for the 300GB, so I'm their with you.

A friend of mine has 2 150gb velociRaptor in raid. He says he likes them but they are noisy. Whats your take on the noise?

There are a few options the first of which you already ruled out

1) 30-40gb ssd + 500gb-1TB drive (fastest but most expensive)

2) Raptor + additional hdd if you need/want it for storage space (middle ground)

3) WD Black 1tb or Samsung F3 1tb (cheapest and slowest) but still a massive upgrade from an IDE drive

A friend of mine has 2 150gb velociRaptor in raid. He says he likes them but they are noisy. Whats your take on the noise?

They are better then the first version but still may be to loud for you personally. If you are building a quiet system, as in every fan in the build is low rpm, then they are to loud otherwise you will be fine noise wise with a raptor.

great drive horrible price

in that price range I would much rather go for a 30-60gb ssd + a $80-$100 2tb drive

Specifically you can get a Hitachi 2tb 7200 rpm drive for $100, or less if you dont want 7200 rpm, that will be 95% as good as that wd black and with the remander of the cost of the black get a small ssd for your OS and a game or two. As an OS drive any recent SSD will be at least a magnitude above any mechanical drive in regards to performance.

edit: links to good deals on large mechanical drives

$80 shipped http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16822145475
$80 shipped http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16822152245
$100 shipped with coupon code (HARDOCPX126C) ending soon http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16822145473

Last edited:
Back