• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me out here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Special7

I need better cooling for my i5 2500k, I pretty much reached the highest I can go on stock cooling which is 4GHz on stock volts, I am running a MSI P67A-GD65 motherboard. What is the best heatsink/fan combo I can get for under $50 that will fit my board and keep my 2500 cool. Thanks. Mind you I have a local Micro Center, I prefer to shop there if at all possible if not newegg works ok too.

MUX120 should do ya good.

Yep, I will second that choice. Some of the best cooling for your setup in the under $50 category and very close to as good as you can get with air cooling.

Here are 3 vendors that I deal with that have it in stock:

SVC.com - $44.99 plus shipping

Performance PC's - $44.95 plus shipping

CrazyPC - $47.99 plus shipping

I would buy it from any one of those 3 vendors before Newegg. Newegg tends to scalp a lot on cooling products and I believe in supporting the smaller cooling specialty stores when they have competitive or superior pricing.

Got the 120 in today, temps are MUCH improved I am actually able to run games and whatnot without worrying about temps as I haven't seen them go over 60c (mind you the thermal paste has to set in, it's still fresh) @ 4.2GHz on stock volts, gonna see just how far she will go on stock volts. :D

She's a big girl though, I had to remove my side case fan to close the side of my case, though that just tells me I need a new case. :p Thoughts on the Antec 300?

I've never seen and Antec 300. I know that quite a few folks have used it for builds here and it seems that most are pretty satisfied with it. Maybe an Antec 300 owner or 2 will post up their thoughts.

And until you get a new case, here is something you can do to bet by. Mount the fan on the outside of the case side instead of inside. You might have to do a little creative work to get the wire through the case side, but it is doable. And then just put a wire fan guard on the outside face of the fan. I have done this before myself (on my old heatsink test case).

Well I stuck the side case fan onto my 8800GT, she was always running passive so it's not a waste of a fan. Dropped idle temps by 10C she idles at 35C now and loads at 50.

Back