• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, Windows 7 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT00

Registered
So I just finished putting together my first rig, everything works great but I am having driver issues. I cant install windows 7 because it says I need to install drivers first. Now I am new at building, but I thought I had to install the OS before installing drivers. I only have a a couple discs with drivers on it, but they wont read because I have no OS. Am I missing something?? or is there some sort of work around?? Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide.

Are you by chance using a controller card such as a IDE SATA SCSI ? If you are, theny you will need to install a driver for the controller card before windows can install to the drive. That is the only time that I have seen windows need any kind of driver to install. If this is the case, just download the driver and put it on a flash drive. Then when windows asks you for the driver just load it off the flash drive. Hope this helps.
-Greg

Like Greg mentioned... Win7 natively supports the majority of RAID controllers out there including Intel, Marvell, Sis, nVidia, etc. What are your system spec's, and what controller is the HDD or SSD connected to?

I just got done reinstalling windows 7 when I upgraded my soundcard. I no longer even use the windows 7 disc anymore. I created a formatted a bootable USB thumbdrive to install windows. Simple as going into bios and setting up in boot device priority. I have raid and ssd drives in this build. I installed operating system and updated drivers after install. Windows update will list critical updates and some drivers. I usually do not install windows suggested. I go directly to manufacturers website to retrieve updated drivers for motherboard, vid card, sound card etc. I download them and install them. I use drivecleaner and drivesweeper to clean old drivers and all reminent files before updating drivers. Device manager will become your friend to verify drivers and device are working properly.

Back