• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG ''Elysion'' Mod - i7-980X - Hextuple Rad - Cosmos S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Project is on hold till end of February

Successfully killed my graphics card, bugga...

Had a red message on screen that the power is not connected to the card which assumed to be over-tightened screws or a short.

After disassemble and when i wanted to remove the block one of the chip broke off due to the TIM i added on the chip and it was the chip which did not have the stepping.
I made a mistake, a costly one and i was quite upset.

Two thing I have noticed:

1. I should not put ANY TIM between the chips and the thermal pads, that stuff (Arctic MX 4) is sticking too much on it an Chips are prone to break like i just experienced (even though the manual states to make the pads more adhesive add small amount of TIM, I think this is not to recommend and would refrain from such thing.
2. My mistake I did I thought to add one more 0.55mm pad on the chip which was leveled and did not have a higher step then the other chips, mistake though because after inspecting the block I could see that the entire row of the chips next to it did not hav contact, assuming I should not have added the second pad...
3. Really make sure and double check after screwing the block on to unscrew it and check contact (as in the manual described correctly)
4. looks like over-tightened screws as well on the named chip which would be caused easily if there is one layer of pad too much :-(

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00320.jpg

good thing, i use a spare older 9800GT now and the CPU temps by 27 C are excellent with 31C max idle ;-)

will tweak the CPU now and OC it stable, then rethinking the loop as at current it won't fill up properly and can't bleed it either properly.
Will move the res/pump to the top and take out the HDD, need to make sort of a platform there in the next two weeks

whats more, not sure how if i want to water cool the new graphics card anymore, i am a bit worried but if i should not use any second thermal pad on named chip and no TIM on all the chips with thermal pads than it should basically work, can't be that difficult, can it?
stay tuned, cheers

Last edited:
yeah, i hope the XFX 5970 will be holding up if its not the Black Edition Model the block should work on that as well. lets see end of this month, thanks mate

Fixed the links

Some setup Pictures before the Res cracked ;-)

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

Spray painted and later applying the matte black finish on the side panels alu frame parts

DSC00306.jpg

Cracked Res due to the heavy weight on the barb fittings, and by moving the res eventually it could not withstand the force anymore and it started to crack slightly on the bottom barb part

DSC00348.jpg

Current Setup after res replaced and cap replaced, the first res cap was not balanced thus spilling some water out of the top and with the second cap on it did not happen again.

DSC00360.jpg

I also took out of the loop the damaged HIS card and the water block, re-looped it and using an overkill of 8 rads on the CPU only until the Koolance chipset kit and the new bay res arrives somewhere in April...

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

yeah you right, should get the ROCCAT since I have their wireless mouse...no worries about the tables mate, they already scratched ups... ;-) cheers and looking forward to the end of this week when the XFX and accessories arrive

Hi folks, it has been a while and I was awaiting the new mobo from Switzerland which my uncle brought me two days ago, also I have a new Koolance dual bay res in serial configuration and lets start with the log

unpacking of the Koolance dual bay res:
DSC00597.jpg

the flowmeter from A/C (still does not show any flow i don't know why...??)
DSC00600.jpg

the old extreme board
DSC00601.jpg

the new formula board
DSC00609.jpg

cleaned Supreme and looks like new:
DSC00608.jpg

installing of both MCP35x was easy and painless
DSC00610.jpg

some LED lighting but i figured i had only 5mm led which doesn't fit into 3mm, nevermind taped them on anyways
DSC00616.jpg

very messy in the bay front, with this koolance i could only do an extended hose which was not very smart looking and arranged but believed to be working
DSC00618.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

with the older 5450 in in first PCIE
DSC00624.jpg

So, now to the sad part, I have exactly the same issue again friends, the 5970 in the first PCIE slot is not booting up and its driving me nuts...
Tonight i'm going to try it with the backup PSU but anyways, before it was working on air cooling without any issues

I tried:
- different PCIE cables
- Tried also the spare EZ_Plug mobo connection
- 2 different cards of 5970 in all different PCIE slots
- unplugged all other devices including fans just to test but no luck either
- and so on

I can't imagine that people can not run HD5970 on this board???
I swapped to the ASUS R III Formula cause I have seen it around with people using heavy setups so assume it should work.

Am I missing something here??

update:

Changed to the PSU to another 1000Watt, same result
changed only the PCIE connections from one PSU and the other cables from the second PSU and vice versa, same result
changed only ATX cables and EATX12V cables, same result
changed only molex connectors, same result
removed the power surge adapter and plugged it in the wall socket directly, same result
changed the ATX extension cable and used the PSU own ATX cable, same result
changed and tried all different PCIE cables and combination from, same result
used both cards in crossfire just to try, fans were spinning at 100% and then i got a failure indication but I guess due to that the cards were powered by a single PSU and the other hardware by the second PSU..

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

the card always stops at the pre-BIOS start screen with the red light on the motherboard with continuous beeping and red message on screen

just out of curiosity, will try my first rampage extreme with the i7-920 chip just to give it a shot.

seems so far that everything is working both mobos, both PSU, just not with either HD5970 cards...
i am completely lost! are those ASUS boards incompatible?

it sounds like this is going to be more trouble than its worth, have you tried returning them and maybe getting a step up or similar seen as your having such issues with them? i mean the 6k series is looking pretty nice right now, but that would require new blocks etc.

If you have the waterblock on the video card, there might be a short somewhere between it and the board. Best bet is to put the stock cooler on the video card and see if it works. I had this happen to me with a 1900 series card that worked fine until I put on a waterblock.

I am not using any watercooling for the GPU blocks at all, all stock and air only...

I am considering seriously the GTX590 to buy from the US, I life in the Maldives and cant return the 5970'er

Last night my friend tried also both cards an he run the setup on a ASUS R II and he had exactly the same issue.

Now, to my knowledge, if both cards don't run on all three different ASUS boards, i am not sure whether the 6990 would run on them too so i might be better off buying either one new gigabyte Assassin and for sure a new GTX590'er or an ATI6990, thus my 5970 are rendered useless unless i use yet another board but a Gigabyte.
Can anyone confirm if the new cards work on ASUS boards or the new Gigabyte?

Thanks

sound dampening foam

where did u get the sound dampening foam from as i like the way the bottum of your case looks

Back