• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows server 2003

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silve225

Registered
Hi everyone my friend gave me windows server 2003 and i installed it on my computer(server). How do i setup the other computer in my house to get be able to view the files on the server. im using the server as a home server to store movies,pictures, and music. I dont want the users to have to log into the server i just want them to be able to go on there computer as they normally do and see the server under mycomputer and watch the movies that are on the server. I dont want to have a special username and password. is there anyway for the server to just show up as like a harddrive. :comp:
thanks for any help!!!

you will want to create a network share and set the permissions to allow anonymous read (and write if you want any user to be able to write files to the share as well)

you can find basic instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324267

following 'How to Share a Folder' and then under 'How to Configure Share Permissions' on step 3, add the user 'anonymous' and assign at least read permissions.

you will also need to set the share permissions on the folder. in order for a share to work properly, you must set the 'share' permissions as well as the 'security' permissions. on the sharing tab, there should be a permissions option and you will want to assign read (and write if you need it) permissions to the 'anonymous' user.

i would be more specific if i could, but i don't have any server 2003 machines anymore at home. i can provide some more detailed instructions if you get stuck when i get to work tomorrow and need some screen shots.

I understand what you are talking about and when i get home i will try it and see if it works. thanks

I never got to do what you said because my hard drive went bad so i had to order a new one and that should be coming either tomorrow or monday. i will let you know when i get the new hard drive and if i need help i will be back on here asking you mbently

Back