Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hitachi 2tb 5k3000 $70 shipped AMIR ($10)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145475

$80 MIR
    -$10 MIR free shipping as well

This is the best deal you will likely see on a 2TB drive from a reputable retailer for the next two months or so. Thus far $80 has be the going sale price of 2tb drives except for the $60 samsung pricing error awhile back.

edit: Down to $60 AMIR. If anyone bought before today talk to Newegg's customer support they are refunding $10

edit2: Sold Out. I'll edit again if it comes back at $70

edit3: back at $70
    Last edited by BossBorot; 02-17-11 at 08:53 PM.

As an owner of many high capacity drives here are a few details about the drive that may make or break the deal for you

The drive is a green drive and as such spins at a lower rpm around 5900 in this case I believe rather then the typical 5400. As such the drive will perform slower then a 7200rpm drive and sould therefore not be used as a system drive. I would also avoid it for raid as this drive series is very new and unproven as of yet in raid environments.

However for normal storage and software raid this drive should be very good.

Additionally this drive is not 4k which makes this drive more compatible with older systems, raid controllers, and many software raid solutions such as WHS. Currently 4k offers the end user practically no performance benefits so I believe that this is a good thing

Unfortunately I am going to pass on this deal due to CA tax but if I lived in some other state that did not charge tax I would grab a few of these.

If only I could feel safe with these in raid 10.
    AMD Phenom II 965 OC 4.1GHz on H20
    Thermaltake V4
    OCZ agility 2, 1TB WD Green. 1 TB seagate Barracuda, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hitachi
    HP 8x DVD-RW
    ASUS M4A89GTD AM3
    EVGA Superclocked 470GTX
    Coolermaster 650GX
    W/others(in my house) 31.8 GHz of processing powar

Only get the 7200RPM one if you are thinking about putting these in a RAID...

Got a Shell Shocker preview email today that said the 5k3000's will be available after 1pm PST for $59.99 after $10 MIR.

Sure wish I had my tax refund already, I'd buy several.
    PLEASE MOVE YOUR CLASSIFIED AD TO SOLD ONCE IT HAS COMPLETED (Click here to learn how)

2x HTPCs / 3x Desktops / 1x 10TB UnRAID Server

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

"With every upgrade I become less clever." -Socket eh?\(_o)/

6. Thanks!

drshivas (02-08-11)

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    Only get the 7200RPM one if you are thinking about putting these in a RAID...
    Are we just assuming this because they are listed as "coolspin", or do you have foundation for this concern
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
    Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
    http://www.newegg.com/

Just grabbed one for my WHS. Unfortunately they only limit purchases to one drive for the shell shocker deal. If I could have I would have grabbed three to finish off my server. I guess 21Tb will do for now.

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    So close to pulling the trigger.

I could totally use this and make my Samsung my primary drive and get rid of my 2 old ones.. mmmmmmm. *flips coin* --- aka Asks wife.
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    D'oh sold out by the time I got home from work (that was fast!)
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

I just dug up the tech specs, unlike most hdd companies Hitachi actually has good documentation, and found out that this is a 3 platter drive. I didn't think that Hitachi could make 667gb platters I thought they could only make 600gb platters. Pleasant surprise I guess as I was expecting 4 platters
    Attached Images Attached Images  

R. Kelly is my roll model EvilCloudStrife's Avatar
    omg did i really miss this?

good deal!
    Name: Apocalypse
    Motherboard: DFI NF4 Ultra-D Bios 623-3
    CPU: AMD 939 Opteron 148 CABYE 0536 & XP-120 W/ Sanyo Denki 120mm Fan - 11x264 - 2900Mhz - 1.52V - 25C Idle - 38C Load
    RAM: OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) - UCCC - 1:1 - 264Mhz - 3-4-3-8 - 2.68V
    Videocard: Evga 7800GT 256-P2-N518 (500/1200)
    DVD: NEC 16XDVD+/-RW
    Hard Drives: (1)Western Digital 7200 250GB 16MB SATA2, (2)Western Digital 7200 250GB 16MB SATA2, Western Digital 7200 200GB 8MB IDE, (1) Westen Digital 7200 250GB 2MB IDE, (2) Western Digital 7200 250GB 2MB IDE, (3) Removable Western Digital 7200 250GB 2MB USB2 Enclosure
    PSU: OCZ 520W SLI Powerstream

Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoloy card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game UNO

BossBorot, I've seen reports of 3 and 4 platters on this drive. 600x3 would be 1800, so not sure how that would be a 2tb drive.

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:

Quote Originally Posted by cw823 View Post
    BossBorot, I've seen reports of 3 and 4 platters on this drive. 600x3 would be 1800, so not sure how that would be a 2tb drive.
    Ya I was expecting 4x500gb platters personally as the largest reported platter size out of hitachi was 600gb for the launch of their 3TB drive which couldn't make a 3 platter 2tb drive. However the info I reported is directly from their 268 page oem manual that gets very specific on every detail of the drive. Furthermore the reported speed differences between the 1.5tb and the 2tb, also in the same pdf, seem to also back up their claim of 3 platters in the 2tb drive which would require at least 667gb platters.

Good to know. A guy I worked with, he, his wife, his father, his mother, and even his deceased grandfather bought one of these drives. lol

Support your forum:

Quote Originally Posted by cw823 View Post
    Good to know. A guy I worked with, he, his wife, his father, his mother, and even his deceased grandfather bought one of these drives. lol
    LOL
    PLEASE MOVE YOUR CLASSIFIED AD TO SOLD ONCE IT HAS COMPLETED (Click here to learn how)

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

bump for back at $70

Quote Originally Posted by BossBorot View Post
    bump for back at $70
    Boss, this isn't the place for this discussion, but how are you backing up your 20tb array?

Support your forum:

I only have around 9.1TB of data currently. Right now I use WHS so I just duplicate everything but I am likely going to switch to two Unraid systems, in different states, soon as I already have a lot of hard drives. Alternatively I may keep my WHS and then build an additional unraid system but that would require more hard drives.

WHS offers better failure protection then Unraid but at the expense of a ton of hard drive space. If one drive dies in either case both systems will be fine however if more then one dies at the same time unraid will lose the data on each drive past one that is lost where as WHS will lose only a little data per disk lost past one. However with multiple unraid systems even if one of them loses all of its drives I still have the other system and this basically could be done with the drives I have currently in my WHS.

Edit: currently I plan on expanding my WHS to 15 drives and 25tb and then waiting out a few changes that I want to see in software raid products. Essentially I want a headless remote assessable software raid OS with a parity drive instead of duplication that handles 4k drives and drive sizes beyond 2tb out of the box. Currently no OS offers this as far as I know but unraid is likely the closest.
    Last edited by BossBorot; 02-17-11 at 10:21 PM.

Can you guys give opinions on whether this hitachi deal or this Samsung deal would be a better option?

I read info from someone that the samsung drives are having firmware issues or something. I just like that the samsungs are $70 with no rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by BossBorot View Post
    I only have around 9.1TB of data currently. Right now I use WHS so I just duplicate everything but I am likely going to switch to two Unraid systems, in different states, soon as I already have a lot of hard drives. Alternatively I may keep my WHS and then build an additional unraid system but that would require more hard drives.

WHS offers better failure protection then Unraid but at the expense of a ton of hard drive space. If one drive dies in either case both systems will be fine however if more then one dies at the same time unraid will lose the data on each drive past one that is lost where as WHS will lose only a little data per disk lost past one. However with multiple unraid systems even if one of them loses all of its drives I still have the other system and this basically could be done with the drives I have currently in my WHS.
    I tried unraid, the pisspoor write speeds were enough for me. Now I'm using Ubuntu software raid6. Two arrays, both 12tb. Syncing between the two.

Support your forum:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast