• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hitachi 2tb 5k3000 $70 shipped AMIR ($10)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BossBorot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16822145475

$80 MIR
-$10 MIR free shipping as well

This is the best deal you will likely see on a 2TB drive from a reputable retailer for the next two months or so. Thus far $80 has be the going sale price of 2tb drives except for the $60 samsung pricing error awhile back.

edit: Down to $60 AMIR. If anyone bought before today talk to Newegg's customer support they are refunding $10

edit2: Sold Out. I'll edit again if it comes back at $70

edit3: back at $70

Last edited:
As an owner of many high capacity drives here are a few details about the drive that may make or break the deal for you

The drive is a green drive and as such spins at a lower rpm around 5900 in this case I believe rather then the typical 5400. As such the drive will perform slower then a 7200rpm drive and sould therefore not be used as a system drive. I would also avoid it for raid as this drive series is very new and unproven as of yet in raid environments.

However for normal storage and software raid this drive should be very good.

Additionally this drive is not 4k which makes this drive more compatible with older systems, raid controllers, and many software raid solutions such as WHS. Currently 4k offers the end user practically no performance benefits so I believe that this is a good thing

Unfortunately I am going to pass on this deal due to CA tax but if I lived in some other state that did not charge tax I would grab a few of these.

Got a Shell Shocker preview email today that said the 5k3000's will be available after 1pm PST for $59.99 after $10 MIR.

Sure wish I had my tax refund already, I'd buy several.

Just grabbed one for my WHS. Unfortunately they only limit purchases to one drive for the shell shocker deal. If I could have I would have grabbed three to finish off my server. I guess 21Tb will do for now.

So close to pulling the trigger.

I could totally use this and make my Samsung my primary drive and get rid of my 2 old ones.. mmmmmmm. *flips coin* --- aka Asks wife.

D'oh sold out by the time I got home from work (that was fast!)

I just dug up the tech specs, unlike most hdd companies Hitachi actually has good documentation, and found out that this is a 3 platter drive. I didn't think that Hitachi could make 667gb platters I thought they could only make 600gb platters. Pleasant surprise I guess as I was expecting 4 platters :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,795
BossBorot, I've seen reports of 3 and 4 platters on this drive. 600x3 would be 1800, so not sure how that would be a 2tb drive.

BossBorot, I've seen reports of 3 and 4 platters on this drive. 600x3 would be 1800, so not sure how that would be a 2tb drive.

Ya I was expecting 4x500gb platters personally as the largest reported platter size out of hitachi was 600gb for the launch of their 3TB drive which couldn't make a 3 platter 2tb drive. However the info I reported is directly from their 268 page oem manual that gets very specific on every detail of the drive. Furthermore the reported speed differences between the 1.5tb and the 2tb, also in the same pdf, seem to also back up their claim of 3 platters in the 2tb drive which would require at least 667gb platters.

Good to know. A guy I worked with, he, his wife, his father, his mother, and even his deceased grandfather bought one of these drives. lol

I only have around 9.1TB of data currently. Right now I use WHS so I just duplicate everything but I am likely going to switch to two Unraid systems, in different states, soon as I already have a lot of hard drives. Alternatively I may keep my WHS and then build an additional unraid system but that would require more hard drives.

WHS offers better failure protection then Unraid but at the expense of a ton of hard drive space. If one drive dies in either case both systems will be fine however if more then one dies at the same time unraid will lose the data on each drive past one that is lost where as WHS will lose only a little data per disk lost past one. However with multiple unraid systems even if one of them loses all of its drives I still have the other system and this basically could be done with the drives I have currently in my WHS.

Edit: currently I plan on expanding my WHS to 15 drives and 25tb and then waiting out a few changes that I want to see in software raid products. Essentially I want a headless remote assessable software raid OS with a parity drive instead of duplication that handles 4k drives and drive sizes beyond 2tb out of the box. Currently no OS offers this as far as I know but unraid is likely the closest.

Last edited:
Can you guys give opinions on whether this hitachi deal or this Samsung deal would be a better option?

I read info from someone that the samsung drives are having firmware issues or something. I just like that the samsungs are $70 with no rebate.

I only have around 9.1TB of data currently. Right now I use WHS so I just duplicate everything but I am likely going to switch to two Unraid systems, in different states, soon as I already have a lot of hard drives. Alternatively I may keep my WHS and then build an additional unraid system but that would require more hard drives.

WHS offers better failure protection then Unraid but at the expense of a ton of hard drive space. If one drive dies in either case both systems will be fine however if more then one dies at the same time unraid will lose the data on each drive past one that is lost where as WHS will lose only a little data per disk lost past one. However with multiple unraid systems even if one of them loses all of its drives I still have the other system and this basically could be done with the drives I have currently in my WHS.

I tried unraid, the pisspoor write speeds were enough for me. Now I'm using Ubuntu software raid6. Two arrays, both 12tb. Syncing between the two.

Back