• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV or monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I was having issues with the setup that I have. Picture would go blank for a few seconds and then come back on, mostly at startup or coming out of sleep. Well I thought it might be my monitor so I had an extra 32 inch LCD by Magnavox and tried it. It wasn't actually an extra, it had issues with cheap capacitors in the power supply so I replaced them, still wanted to turn itself off so I just set it aside and replaced it. Well it turned out to be the video card had worked it's way loose and was causing the issue. The TV looks good, really good with a huge desktop that I can read easily with 2x glasses.

The 24 inch monitor has a much higher res at 2200x1280 or something close but the TV is only 1360x768. I tried a few games and it is cool having so much real estate to look at but I am wondering if I might be missing to much. I am also considering a newer video card, mostly between a 560 or a 6950 but do I need it for viewing on a TV? I am not sure I should even keep the TV or go back to the 24 inch monitor with higher res. The only games I play are BF2 and BF2BC and don't play them that much. The TV looks cool on my desk, not at all to big but the color is a little washed out. The issue it had must have been fixed because it hasn't shut down in the couple of days it's been on. Question is, what would be the consensus on either. Should I go back to the monitor and upgrade my video card or just use the TV. I cannot really decide which is really better. Is anyone else using a 32 inch 720p TV and do you think it is better then a 24 inch monitor even at a higher res?

i have a 32" 720p lcd tv hooked up to computer system in my bedroom. i find that it works well for playing movies & tv shows but when i am trying to use it for browsing the web, i find it lacking in resolution. it is ok to use every once and a while but i absolutely need to have more real estate when trying to perform normal everyday computing tasks.

i have a 32" 720p lcd tv hooked up to computer system in my bedroom. i find that it works well for playing movies & tv shows but when i am trying to use it for browsing the web, i find it lacking in resolution. it is ok to use every once and a while but i absolutely need to have more real estate when trying to perform normal everyday computing tasks.
I see what you mean now after doing a little more it does seem very limited. I thought I would go back to the monitor but as it turns out it was bad after all. Guess a video card will have to wait now. I am going to order a 27 inch that has the same resoloution as mine tomorrow, it was the only one I could find with a res that high.

Back