• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone had a GTX 580 die from folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a bunch (15+) of gpus folding 24/7, shaders overclocked to the limit of folding stability, fans running at 85%. I can only think of one that died, an ATI X1950 folding GPU. Most are G92s and have been running quite some time. I would have a very hard time agreeing that folding significantly shortens the life of a gpu. Every one has lasted until it was obsolete.

Im sure a large percentage of the GPU's that have died while folding were because of heat. If your going to fold you need the cooling for it.

I had a 8800 Ultra die that was folding for a while and benched with off and on. I believe the VRM's got so hot it caused the solder joint to weaken.
Threw it in the oven and its back to 100%

I have a bunch (15+) of gpus folding 24/7, shaders overclocked to the limit of folding stability, fans running at 85%. I can only think of one that died, an ATI X1950 folding GPU. Most are G92s and have been running quite some time. I would have a very hard time agreeing that folding significantly shortens the life of a gpu. Every one has lasted until it was obsolete.

+1 :thup:

Have twenty G92 cards and eight 200/400 series cards folding 24/7, all with max shaders. Lost my first GPU a few weeks ago, a 9600GSO, which had fan control issues. My first GPU folder, 8800GT, and seven 8800GS are still going strong.

Its not the card I don't think,I was using the newest driver,I went back to the last one I had and seems to be ok now..Not sure whats going on yet..

OCed primarily I'm sure. I have 8 9800GX2's either dead or partially dead (1 GPU works) that I got from team members. All dual PCB models.

Thats why as long as i do Distributed computer projects I will always buy with cards with a lifetime warranty. (evga/XFX) or try to get a 2-3year warranty with a reputable company. (asus/msi)

Thats why as long as i do Distributed computer projects I will always buy with cards with a lifetime warranty. (evga/XFX) or try to get a 2-3year warranty with a reputable company. (asus/msi)

They are all EVGA cards but also all second or third owner that had them die so no warranty.

Back