• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 SP1 Release Dates announced - Who's going in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When it's hit RTM I'll update, as it's quicker than downloading all those updates.
But while it's just a RCx I won't be touching it...

It is RTM. it will be out on the 22nd for everyone.

Ill have it on the 16 and installed on both server and 7.

MSDN info on virtualization..?

It is RTM. it will be out on the 22nd for everyone.

Ill have it on the 16 and installed on both server and 7.

Some of what I am reading on SP1 re: Virtualization tech updates looks interesting to me. If anything else I just want to see how overhead and the new cpu/memory harware virtualization behaves after setting up a VM. Right now on the -bigadv machine I easily have enough memory overhead to run a 1 to 2 GB XP virtual machine..I am still not 100% convinced there is not a solution for GPU folding in a well set up XP VM in Windows 7 - I want to see if isolating the GPU client(s) in a VM, away from the main task scheduler working environment, (or vice-versa w/ isolated SMP in an XP VM) will help -bigadv frame times/ppd. I have not been able to find anyone who has tried it out and posted about thier results. I have tried to see if it is worth looking into or not. Who knows, it may be a total bust, or a big win..but I must know :-/

It's just a lot of downtime to explore that, and I don't have another i7 available to test with.. :rain:

-TG

edit- what's up with 58 ppd today..:eh?:

wthppd.jpg

Last edited:
tested a beta and was fawless for me. Will wait for official relase to update all systes but I will asap

I have it now and I'll install it later tonight :D

I can't say where, but it was from a respectable site.

I'm sure you can find it using Google.

RTM03.jpg

But it's best to wait for the official release as it's a safer bet.

Last edited:
I am going to hold out for a bit, until I am ready to reinstall Win7. At that time, I will be slipstreaming it on to my install disc, which always seems to take up less HDD space than installing a Service Pack from a download or WU. I have some shrinking down that I am working on for my Win7 install anyway, due to the fact that I am running on a 30GB Vertex, so space is at a premium.

I hope this fixes what ailed my Win7 installation. Took 25 minutes on my Asus Commando sig rig. I'll also scan the partition from XP with Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE & malwarebytes in case some bugs were slipped into the SP1 update files.

SP1 installed.jpg

Some of what I am reading on SP1 re: Virtualization tech updates looks interesting to me. If anything else I just want to see how overhead and the new cpu/memory harware virtualization behaves after setting up a VM. Right now on the -bigadv machine I easily have enough memory overhead to run a 1 to 2 GB XP virtual machine..I am still not 100% convinced there is not a solution for GPU folding in a well set up XP VM in Windows 7 - I want to see if isolating the GPU client(s) in a VM, away from the main task scheduler working environment, (or vice-versa w/ isolated SMP in an XP VM) will help -bigadv frame times/ppd. I have not been able to find anyone who has tried it out and posted about thier results. I have tried to see if it is worth looking into or not. Who knows, it may be a total bust, or a big win..but I must know :-/

Interesting, I make heavy use of Windows XP mode to run some 32-bit software that doesn't play nice with 64-bit windows, and we won't have v3 (64-bit happy) until we spend ca. £200,000 on a new NMR spectrometer (http://www.bruker-biospin.com/topspin3.html).

A bit O/T: Student edition for 99 euros!? How much money do they think students actually *have*?

Back