• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 2600k tjmax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

What is the safest max temp for this CPU?

Prime is showing roughly 71c on the hottest core, which I am pretty sure is OK?

It is overclocked to 4.5GHz with a Coolermaster V10 (fans swapped to S-Flex Es).

I don't know, but my 2500k goes between 83 and 94 while running prime. Mine seems ok, so 71 isn't that bad.

TjMax is supposedly 100c = very dangerous. It will throttle at 90c thermally, and it's the general idea i've seen around is anything under 80 is A-OK :thup:

I don't know, but my 2500k goes between 83 and 94 while running prime. Mine seems ok, so 71 isn't that bad.

You are probably bouncing back and forth between throttling (=lower performance) and not. You should check your cooling situation or lower your OC/volts.

yea, I need water cooling. I don't think throttling is taking effect, it will just shut down completely at 100. (I've done it) I run passmarks tests and it passes, each time. I even got 5370, and tried all day, to get above that, but reached the limit on air. Got some very high marks for an I5 2500k(10920 marks) using 'Passmarks' software, although I don't know if you guys think that's good benchmarking software.
I'm new here, and have fun doing this... If it burns up before I get water cooling... I'll upgrade to i7. : )

Vcore 1.42
DDR 1.65

Last edited:
TjMax is supposedly 100c = very dangerous. It will throttle at 90c thermally,..

When the core temperature reaches TJMax, the Intel docs say, "the processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature." That's hot but it's not "very dangerous" and it doesn't start to thermal throttle until it hits TJMax.

TJMax can vary from one CPU to the next. Many Sandy Bridge CPUs seem to be set to 98C. Intel typically sets the THERMTRIP thermal shutdown temperature to TJMax + 25C. When significantly overclocking, it's not unusual for a CPU to reboot when it starts running too hot but that usually happens way below the Intel set THERMTRIP temperature.

When the core temperature reaches TJMax, the Intel docs say, "the processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature." That's hot but it's not "very dangerous" and it doesn't start to thermal throttle until it hits TJMax.

TJMax can vary from one CPU to the next. Many Sandy Bridge CPUs seem to be set to 98C. Intel typically sets the THERMTRIP thermal shutdown temperature to TJMax + 25C. When significantly overclocking, it's not unusual for a CPU to reboot when it starts running too hot but that usually happens way below the Intel set THERMTRIP temperature.

Thanks for the info :thup: Sorry for my misinformation :confused:

:D

Back