• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead space 2 thread Is that insanity I smell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peeved Kitten

So I played Dead space 1 on the PS3 (or xbox, whatever it was I don't really remember) and I enjoyed it for awhile, but I didn't finish it. At the time my set up was really not ideal for any type of gaming, but we made do. I've always been a big fan of horror/startle FPS games, but DS1 just didn't grab me. I have to admit, I was swayed by a bit of eye candy on some of the ads in to picking up dead space 2, the moms on TV freaking out might have helped...

We cut the lights, turned on some pink floyd really quiet and fired it up on the 46". I wasn't really expecting to be wowed as I have been playing games for so long not much wows me anymore. However, after about 20 minutes of gameplay and my wife going nuts every time something would pop out I have to say I'm pretty wowed. The game is very impressive and a ridiculous amount of fun, the immersion is very deep.

I haven't had the motivation to finish a game since Little Big Planet came out, this is one I could definitely see finishing. It has been a really long time since a game creeped me out, and god did I miss it!

Who's got it and who's enjoying it? Anyone find any really neat graphics tweaks for it or anything like that?

I keep forgetting about this game. Going to try it out soon.

DS1 was definitely a stand out from most of the new "horror" games and worthy of playing. So I'm sure DS2 should be as well.

Many of the other recent games in this genre do not actually represent horror anymore, they're just falsely labeled as so. RE series is not "horror" anymore, it's been transformed into an action shooter. Amnesia was ok I guess, but is exactly the opposite of the new RE; very few actual threats/monsters around, mostly just atmospheric scares/minor obstacles and lots of puzzles... I do get the idea of the player being a 'random normal person' of some sort (instead of a big muscled soldier armed with tons of weapons), but it just did not impress me too much.

59.99 on steam..im gonna wait until it goes down since i havnt heard anybody ranting about how it is a must have.

59.99 on steam..im gonna wait until it goes down since i havnt heard anybody ranting about how it is a must have.

I had a gift card or else I would have done the same. I don't know about an absolute must have, but definitely worth picking up and playing. I love the in game mechanics for shooting off arms/limbs etc.

Even modern warfare 2 is still 60, those guys are just greedy.

As for horror immersion king, nothing like amnesia the dark descent

Question for pc version ....

How are the controls (keyboard/mouse) for DS2 , same as DS1 ?

I did not care for the pc controls at all in the first game .

Question for pc version ....

How are the controls (keyboard/mouse) for DS2 , same as DS1 ?

I did not care for the pc controls at all in the first game .

I'm unsure as I didn't play DS1 on the pc. standard WSDA movement keys, E and F for some different abilities and of course standard mouse buttons.

I don't let control schemes get in my way of enjoying a game. I play with a Logitech G13 and I absolutely love it. It's fully mappable and pretty much works with any game period. You can set up macro's etc. and I think it has 3-4 modes. I used a Belkin N52TE before this and it was ok, but the G13 definitely stomps it.

The problem many people had with the first one was mouse control being way too slow. But that also depended on the mouse and mouse driver settings, which I think some people didn't bother to change.

I fixed it by just setting mouse sensitivity to max in game settings, and having my mouse DPI to max (only 1800, not that great nowadays), my sensitivity in drivers at around 5.5 or 6. My mouse pad is also pretty small, just a regular one, not one of those big gaming pads. So if I'm able to get it working properly on my mediocre DPI combined with my small mouse pad, it leads me to believe that the problem was both the game's setting and the users' mouse settings.

The problem many people had with the first one was mouse control being way too slow. But that also depended on the mouse and mouse driver settings, which I think some people didn't bother to change.

I fixed it by just setting mouse sensitivity to max in game settings, and having my mouse DPI to max (only 1800, not that great nowadays), my sensitivity in drivers at around 5.5 or 6. My mouse pad is also pretty small, just a regular one, not one of those big gaming pads. So if I'm able to get it working properly on my mediocre DPI combined with my small mouse pad, it leads me to believe that the problem was both the game's setting and the users' mouse settings.

Just turning off Vsync in the first game, and also the second fixes all mouse problems.

Got them for X360, played the first and loved it. Second im basically done with it but have to replay a portion of the back portion of the game since im getting annihilated at the end.

Great games, and since I haven't finished it curious if they would make a 3rd. If its anything like these 2 consider me sold. Besides the other mini games, movie tie ins all work wonderfully with the game, as im sure it helps with promoting it.

Cannot wait to play this, but i gotta get through the rest of the stalker series first... and Civ 5... and gran turismo... and the F.E.A.R. expansions....

I concur w/ Shard, turning off vsync helps tremendously in DS1.
Dead Space 1 is one of my top 10 games of all time, so I was anticipating Dead Space 2...which I got. Its a really really good game! I have it for my PC and play it on my 40inch LCD, man its good. I recommend it if you are on the fence about it. I do not normally pay full price for games, I like to wait till they go on sale, this is the first time in a while I paid full price for a game.

Got them for X360, played the first and loved it. Second im basically done with it but have to replay a portion of the back portion of the game since im getting annihilated at the end.

Great games, and since I haven't finished it curious if they would make a 3rd. If its anything like these 2 consider me sold. Besides the other mini games, movie tie ins all work wonderfully with the game, as im sure it helps with promoting it.

I am pretty damn sure there is going to be a third one.

Also a tip for the part I am thinking you are on. Just push on through if you can. Don't worry about trying to kill every last black necromorph. Just spam stasis and haul ***.

The first one was awesome....except I still havent beaten it yet cuz I jump so much haha. I played the demo for #2 on my xbox, was pretty sweet and from what I've seen on PC (cuz it looks better on there of course hehe) looks soooo good.

I want to play this game more! I haven't been able to fire it up since the first night! Between work, working out and surfing I have almost no game time!

Back