• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thx ill try the settings!

but one questions is this vCore suposed to be under stock voltage? currently the voltage is 1.39 or so

and spec for 630 cpu says 1.4..

The stock setting is rather high. I can run stock setting at 1.3v and maybe less. Running 1.35v will let you get a higher clock and keep temps down since you're on stock cooling.

thx ill try the settings!

but one questions is this vCore suposed to be under stock voltage? currently the voltage is 1.39 or so

and spec for 630 cpu says 1.4..
What spec says 1.4? The Desktop Processor page says "0.90-1.4V", so anything starting at 0.90v is good - though I wouldn't expect it to run at that low of a voltage at stock speed.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

As an example, my 940BE will run stock speed at 1.15v. When I was testing it I ran it that way at load for 40 hours straight. 1.35v will get me a 400 MHz overclock on the same chip. You should always start low and add voltage only as needed. ;)

Ok thx guys but couple more questions before I apply the settings please.

RAM speed: 533 MHz (DDR3-1066)
RAM timings to match CPU-Z/SPD tab for 667 MHz

To match 667 MHz timings means exact same timings the ram runs at default. is this the intent?

(As it currently runs at 1333/667 mhz I would set the current settings.)

Edit:
Can I also ask why timings need to be for 667 and not for 533? is it because the ram mhz rises when you overclock?

Check that RAM is running dual-channel unganged mode.

How do I check this?

Last edited:
It may or may not be what the BIOS sets as default. As I indicated, you should use the CPU-Z/SPD tab to see what those timings are.

Yes, the RAM MHz rises when you increase the clock speed.

Upper right-hand corner of the CPU-Z/Memory tab.

Ok Thx! I changed the values now and everything seems to be fine except RAM command rate changed from T2 to T1

What now?
thx

Ok Thx! I changed the values now and everything seems to be fine except RAM command rate changed from T2 to T1

What now?
thx
I don't know how much of this you've done:

You'll need to turn off CoolNQuiet and C1E in BIOS. Then find and set the following values manually (unless stated otherwise):

HTRef (CPU frequency): 200 MHz
vCore: 1.35v
CPU Multiplier: 14
cpuNB VID: 1.15v
cpuNB multiplier: 8x
HT Link multiplier: 8X

NB chipset: auto
SB chipset: auto
RAM voltage: 1.55v
RAM speed: 533 MHz (DDR3-1066)
RAM timings to match CPU-Z/SPD tab for 667 MHz

RAM timing labels (CPU-Z = BIOS):
CAS# Lat = tCL
RAS to CAS = tRCD
RAS Prechrg = tRP
tRAS
tRC

Run CPU-Z to check the that the settings have been entered correctly. Your processor should be at 2800 MHz, HT Link at 1600 MHz, cpuNB at 1600, RAM at 533 MHz with the right timings. Check that RAM is running dual-channel unganged mode.

You should also download and run OCCT OR Prime95+CoreTemp for at least 5 minutes and note the temp near the end before you stop the stress test. It's important to know how hot the processor is running to avoid problems. :)

BTW
I would not use AOD to overclock. In fact, I'd uninstall the program. Use CPU-Z for your system information.

Yes I meant to say I applied all those settings :)

I assume the RAM command rate needs to be fixed back to T2 as first thing?

What was your load core temp when you tested it?

I'd leave it at 1T unless you're running four sticks of RAM.

I have 4 sticks so I changed it to T2. (total 4gb if that makes difference)

then I ran the test and temp was 55c after five minutes

CPU-Z:

Last edited:
then I ran the test and temp was 55c after five minutes
You can try increasing the clock speed now but make sure you don't increase any voltages. That temp is kind of high for even stock speeds but it's voltage that creates most of the heat. Still, you're pushing the edge already so don't expect much without better cooling.

You might want to check your case airflow. Take the side of the case off and point a room fan (on medium) toward the board. If the temps go down by more than 1-2° then you probably need to work on the airflow.

You can try increasing the clock speed now but make sure you don't increase any voltages. That temp is kind of high for even stock speeds but it's voltage that creates most of the heat. Still, you're pushing the edge already so don't expect much without better cooling.

Ok The spec gives 71c as max temperature though so while im not sure I think under 60c is good.. (Considering life span)

I have one question about the ram timings though. Can setting ram to run at 533mhz and with timings for 667 mhz generate more heat? (For the RAM)
I believe i read something about this but cant remember what it was.

I think one thing you have confused are what the ram timings are exactly. They are different latencies for operations for the ram. The lower the latency the better the performance. The faster the frequency the better the performance. However, it's a balance. The faster the frequency the higher the timings must be to allow the faster frequency. Inversely, the lower the timings the slower the frequency to allow the lower timings.

When overclocking, 55C is about your max load temp when it comes to stability. You can go a little higher, but you might not be stable.

I think one thing you have confused are what the ram timings are exactly. They are different latencies for operations for the ram. The lower the latency the better the performance. The faster the frequency the better the performance. However, it's a balance. The faster the frequency the higher the timings must be to allow the faster frequency. Inversely, the lower the timings the slower the frequency to allow the lower timings.

Thx for the elobration. It is the balance with mhz and timings that im concerned of. couldnt find the article though i looked.

When overclocking, 55C is about your max load temp when it comes to stability. You can go a little higher, but you might not be stable.

Oh I see i was under impression that heat caused problem only near 70c...

Well 70C is the max before the cpu is completely damaged. 55C - 60C is where an overclock starts to become unstable typically (for AMD chips anyways, Intel is a different story).

I have one question about the ram timings though. Can setting ram to run at 533mhz and with timings for 667 mhz generate more heat? (For the RAM)
I believe i read something about this but cant remember what it was.
That's crazy. You would generate more heat the other way - trying to use 533 timings at 667 MHz.

Every chip tolerates heat differently. Some get into the upper-50's before running into stability issues. Once you're over 50 there's a chance your overclock will become unstable from heat and the hotter it is the higher the chance of instability.

Last edited:
Ok thx guys I'll probably need to check the cooling before trying this. thx again couldnt have figured this stuff out without you!

:)

Ok I ran One prime95 test now after overclocking with the given settings and 220mhz CPU speed but I got blue screen once temp rised to 50c.

can i ask is there anything you can do about that or have i hit the limit?
(other than better cooling)

thx!

You can try raising the vCore a little, maybe to 1.375v. It might be enough to get you stable without raising the temperature too much. If the temps are too high for the extra voltage it'll still be unstable but it shouldn't hurt anything to try.

Other than that, yes, you need better cooling.

You can try raising the vCore a little, maybe to 1.375v. It might be enough to get you stable without raising the temperature too much. If the temps are too high for the extra voltage it'll still be unstable but it shouldn't hurt anything to try.

Other than that, yes, you need better cooling.

Ok Thx! I did that and now it seems to be stable in prime95 temps staying barely below 60c.

Do you happen to know why Core voltage says in CPU-z 1.332v and in bios too?
I did change it in bios...

Last edited:
Back