• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 890FX-ud5 problem/help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Chance dude your missing the point completely. His RAM will do 1600mhz no problem as that is what they are rated for. EVERY AMD MOBO DOES NOT SUPPORT ANYTHING OVER 1333mhz WITHOUT OVERCLOCKING. That being said, when he ups to the 1600mhz divider even though his HTT speed stays the same the 1600mhz divider is considered overclocking and taxes the IMC harder no matter the timings of the RAM. Think of the memory dividers in terms of a highway. 1333mhz is the default 4 lane highway with speeds at 70mph, while 1600mhz is the same default 4 lane highway with speeds at 110mph. When running on the 1600mhz divider the IMC is receiving more information than normal due to the increased speed, thus it taxes the IMC more, usually enough that the stock voltage of the cpu-nb (IMC) is not up to the task of handling 1600mhz speed without a bump or two in cpu-nb volts. This is totally dependent upon the CPU's IMC. If you are lucky stock volts work just fine, if not a bump or two in voltage may be needed to stabilize the IMC when working at those speeds irregardless of memory timings.

As long as he is running the timings off the stick, which the manufacturer states those sticks will run at those timings for 1600mhz, then for initial testing he takes the RAM timings out of the equation so that the only variable he has left to mess with is the cpu-nb voltage. The only chance the RAM has to be of any factor is the fact that the RAM he bought is specifically designed for Core i5 intel chips and the P55 mobos. Some of these sticks of RAM have to run at looser timings than quoted on the stick in AMD systems. Aside from that one little caveat his cpu-nb voltage is much more dependent on the stability of his system at this point with the 1600mhz divider.

Lol, most of that is blatantly false. Especially when it comes to this: "His RAM will do 1600mhz no problem as that is what they are rated for." Regardless, you can take care of this one since you seem to know everything. :screwy:

Try replacing the button battery (may be bad battery), it's cheap enough and worth trying before rma' ing the board... a lot cheaper than return shipping :attn:

edit - also make sure your GPU is not overheating.

Last edited:
Lol, most of that is blatantly false. Especially when it comes to this: "His RAM will do 1600mhz no problem as that is what they are rated for." Regardless, you can take care of this one since you seem to know everything. :screwy:

Did you bother to read the first post in this thread where he linked his RAM?

Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 2T

For someone that does benchmarking i would figure you would know something about memory dividers but i guess my assumption was wrong. When you run a 1333 memory divider with a stock HTT/FSB of 200mhz which is stock speeds for AMD btw, your memory runs at 1333mhz. When you change to the 1066 divider the HTT/FSB stays the same but the ram runs slower at 1066mhz. So when you change the memory divider to 1600 the HTT/FSB stays the same at 200mhz and the memory speed is bumped to 1600mhz.

So his RAM that is DDR3 1600, with the timings on the stick and the proper voltage his RAM will run at 1600mhz no problem. His CPU's IMC however will need a voltage bump to run the 1600mhz divider as the CPU's IMC is only rated for 1066mhz or 1333mhz, with the stock voltage.

LOL, I fully understand how ram dividers work. After running dry ice multiple times, I would think it's safe to say this isn't my first rodeo...

You keep mentioning the dividers as being the issue... but wrap your mind around this one... 200 ht ref on the 4/1 divider gets you 1600mhz ram. If you drop the divider to the 8/3 and change the ht ref to 300, still keeping 1600mhz ram, I bet the chip won't run there either. The divider essentially does nothing (in this case).

While this proves your point that the IMC may need a boost, it proves my point that ram rated at 1600 doesn't always run 1600 at rated timings. I can provide [more] proof if you wish. My 720 is a C2 and has a horrible IMC. That chip would fight day after day running 1600. :shrug:

I'm not saying this is definitive but neither the RAM motherboard test list nor the Gigabyte QVL for that board show these products as compatible. It wouldn't be the first time G.Skill RAM rated to run 800 MHz on an Intel system would not run it on an AMD system. I'm not saying the RAM won't run at it's advertised speeds, either, just that there is no proof from either manufacturer that it will. As such, if the system is having problems it would seem more prudent to turn the RAM speed down until the problem is resolved than to try and force it to run overclocked.

While this proves your point that the IMC may need a boost, it proves my point that ram rated at 1600 doesn't always run 1600 at rated timings. I can provide [more] proof if you wish.

Where in your posts have you ever mentioned your point of RAM rated at 1600mhz doesnt always run at 1600? You didnt. Your first post after mine you talk about your RAM and what it can do. You finally half arse explain what you were trying to say several days and posts later. Learn to write coherently and make sure that you get your point across by actually stating it. Did you not see in my posts where i specifically stated that his RAM is not really meant to run on AMD systems and might need looser timings to do the 1600mhz speed. I pointed everything out in my posts and its up to the OP to decide what to do.

You argue at me yet you clearly cannot even state what your objections to my posts are for several days and posts later. And guess what i got no objections to the RAM timings maybe not being able to work as advertised on AMD cause if you bothered to read my posts i clearly stated that several posts ago.

I try to help and all i get is some prepubescent that thinks he knows it all telling me i dont know what im talking about yet said person cannot even formulate a proper response to convey his thoughts properly so that other people can understand what the hell he is trying to say.

Let me reiterate what exactly i said in my post. Put everything back to stock settings and the RAM on the 1333 divider with the RAM timings and voltage printed on the stick. If that means things are stable then we can work on getting his 1600mhz divider working for him and his system. I have the same mobo as the OP and his description of the instability is exactly what i had when i was trying to get my 1600mhz divider to work at stock. I needed to bump my IMC voltage a notch to stabilize my machine. I also explained that due to his RAM being tested and made more for Intel boards and chips that he might need to loosen his timings if he runs into issues after bumping the IMC voltage.

You say its RAM Chance, and i say its definitely the IMC voltage for the 1600mhz divider that needs to be raised (based on my hands on experience and knowledge of the exact motherboard and its default voltages) plus the RAM might not be able to do those timings at stated speed on stick since it was tested and made for Intel boards. Now why are you arguing when we make the same point about the RAM? Do you really think that the IMC is not being taxed harder when running the 1600 divider? Do you know that the default voltage for the IMC on the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 is 1.1v which is pretty low as most other board manufacturers have this at 1.15v or 1.175v for their auto setting.

Where in your posts have you ever mentioned your point of RAM rated at 1600mhz doesnt always run at 1600? You didnt. Your first post after mine you talk about your RAM and what it can do. You finally half arse explain what you were trying to say several days and posts later. Learn to write coherently and make sure that you get your point across by actually stating it. Did you not see in my posts where i specifically stated that his RAM is not really meant to run on AMD systems and might need looser timings to do the 1600mhz speed. I pointed everything out in my posts and its up to the OP to decide what to do.

You argue at me yet you clearly cannot even state what your objections to my posts are for several days and posts later. And guess what i got no objections to the RAM timings maybe not being able to work as advertised on AMD cause if you bothered to read my posts i clearly stated that several posts ago.

I try to help and all i get is some prepubescent that thinks he knows it all telling me i dont know what im talking about yet said person cannot even formulate a proper response to convey his thoughts properly so that other people can understand what the hell he is trying to say.

Let me reiterate what exactly i said in my post. Put everything back to stock settings and the RAM on the 1333 divider with the RAM timings and voltage printed on the stick. If that means things are stable then we can work on getting his 1600mhz divider working for him and his system. I have the same mobo as the OP and his description of the instability is exactly what i had when i was trying to get my 1600mhz divider to work at stock. I needed to bump my IMC voltage a notch to stabilize my machine. I also explained that due to his RAM being tested and made more for Intel boards and chips that he might need to loosen his timings if he runs into issues after bumping the IMC voltage.

You say its RAM Chance, and i say its definitely the IMC voltage for the 1600mhz divider that needs to be raised (based on my hands on experience and knowledge of the exact motherboard and its default voltages) plus the RAM might not be able to do those timings at stated speed on stick since it was tested and made for Intel boards. Now why are you arguing when we make the same point about the RAM? Do you really think that the IMC is not being taxed harder when running the 1600 divider? Do you know that the default voltage for the IMC on the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 is 1.1v which is pretty low as most other board manufacturers have this at 1.15v or 1.175v for their auto setting.

This [^^^] pretty much sums it up, except for one thing... Dividers do nothing.

Did you miss my whole 4/1 divider @ 200ht vs 8/3 divider @ 300ht? It's not about the divider causing the stress.

I suppose if you blur the lines, we are arguing for the same cause (that the ram sub-system is the problem), however we are not arguing the same thing.

Ps. I wasn't mentioning my settings for the hell of it. I was giving data proving that the correct ram will 1600 @ whatever-the-hell cpu-nb voltage the board defaults to.

It is about the divider causing stress with his specific motherboard. You obviously dont have any idea how dividers actually work with the RAM subsystem and the IMC. When you change to a 1600mhz divider you are overclocking the IMC which is why you need more voltage added to it to make it stable. Running your RAM at 1600mhz with the HTT at 200mhz is alot different than running your RAM at 1600mhz with the HTT at 300mhz. Most boards will not run these speeds without alot of tweaking having to be done to get it stable regardless if the RAM can do that speed.

Your RAM and your chip's IMC on your board's default voltage might work right but id bet that your default imc voltage is not 1.1v like the OP and my board is.

It is about the divider causing stress with his specific motherboard. You obviously dont have any idea how dividers actually work with the RAM subsystem and the IMC. When you change to a 1600mhz divider you are overclocking the IMC which is why you need more voltage added to it to make it stable. Running your RAM at 1600mhz with the HTT at 200mhz is alot different than running your RAM at 1600mhz with the HTT at 300mhz. Most boards will not run these speeds without alot of tweaking having to be done to get it stable regardless if the RAM can do that speed.

Your RAM and your chip's IMC on your board's default voltage might work right but id bet that your default imc voltage is not 1.1v like the OP and my board is.

Good God, I give up.

I had similar issues with my computer till i got my voltages set right. Remember AMD boards are rated for 1333mhz with stock volts, not 1600mhz.

Before you RMA your vid card you need to get your mobo voltages and timings set right. Ive looked over your bios screens and you have a major problem. You are running RAM on the 1600mhz divider and you have not upped the IMC voltage. You did up the cpu volts which needs to be set to auto if you are not overclocking. Your northbridge voltage needs to be auto as well.

First go to the 1333mhz divider and leave every voltage at auto save the dram voltage that is manually set. Now run your machine with these settings and see if the issue persists. If it goes away then the next step is to get your RAM running on the 1600mhz divider. I have the same mobo as you and i needed to up my cpu-nb voltage (IMC) to 1.125v to make my machine stable. This was one bump past auto as auto on this board is 1.1v. You might need to bump it a little higher if things still are not stable.

Yes, the problem still happens when it was at 1333mhz.

Right now I'm running at "optimal defaults" and it still does it.

I'm rma'ing my card though because my 60 day return just ran up and I didn't want to wait and then find out it was my card anyway and have to rma it to the manufacturer.

Back to the main issue, it strikes me as being a video card problem. I certainly concur with the advice to put all settings on default/auto to eliminate incorrect bios settings being the problem but I would also try another video card. Do you have an old one or can you borrow one? If it is a buggy video drive issue putting another card in might bypass that as well.

Hey I'm back after RMA'ing it. And yet, the problem still occurs. Right now Everything is just on Optimal defaults and I've also tried optimal defaults with the RAM at its native settings. Both don't work, I don't know what to do. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Hey I'm back after RMA'ing it. And yet, the problem still occurs. Right now Everything is just on Optimal defaults and I've also tried optimal defaults with the RAM at its native settings. Both don't work, I don't know what to do. Any other ideas? Thanks.
What do you mean by "native settings"?

What do you mean by "native settings"?

Sorry, I know that's not the real term for it, but I mean like I set the correct timings and the correct voltage as it says on the package and not what the bios automatically sets it to.

I've had the same mb for a few months now and have tweaked and benched it up and down. It is very picky with ram speed and timings. The timings in your first post ss are all over the place. Here is ss's of my timings and maybe if you tried those it might work for you. One at 7 8 7 and one at 8 8 8. I'm assuming 2 sticks of ram in slots 1 and 3, same color slots, the white slots. Ram speed/timings seem to cause bsod's later after running awhile whereas cpu problems happen earlier, imho. Copy not just timings but write recovery and all, leave auto what is. Good luck.

ud5ramtim1a.jpg ud5ramtim1b.jpg

I still get an F7 BSoD every now and again. That is purely memory related and it has happened with multiple chips with this board. I know it's not board related because this board clocks my other chips like mad. I'm pretty positive that the ram support list isn't just there for show. :rolleyes:

Back