• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Unlocking 6970 Shaders on my 6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PSU... how many cards you planning on putting in that system? Man after figuring out my wattage via kilowatt meter.... even my system is using 1/3 the power my PSU puts out.

I can put up to 3... but probably won't even do xfire, but I might. At best two GPU's but I just want a PSU to not squeal, so if there is a PSU that can handle two or three cards and not squeal then my one cards should definitely not squeal.
Deathman, what is your power tune settings? Even at 1.1v at 880/1375mhz, my cards is crashing after 5 minutes or so in game. It's not the memory that's causing it. It's not even display driver has stopped, it just freezes and I have to reboot. Should I do 10% or 20% in powertune. Will that even make a difference? You are stable at 1.1v so there must be something you are doing I'm not.

Im stable, I do not have powertune running at all its set to 0% but I also re-locked CCC to hopefully not give me any issues with it down clocking like it was to me in games.

For PSU are you sure its squeeling? I swear my PSU was doing it at first when I originally got it since it was new. Though it ended up being my GPU's doing it. 8800GT, 285GTX had a very nice squeel to it. This one has a slight one, not nearly as bad as the others but it is there. Pretty hard not to notice it when its sitting less than 2 feet from you and you have 240x120mm hole with 2 fans right at the GPU level in the side of the case.

For PSU are you sure its squeeling? I swear my PSU was doing it at first when I originally got it since it was new. Though it ended up being my GPU's doing it. 8800GT, 285GTX had a very nice squeel to it. This one has a slight one, not nearly as bad as the others but it is there. Pretty hard not to notice it when its sitting less than 2 feet from you and you have 240x120mm hole with 2 fans right at the GPU level in the side of the case.

Come to think of it, GPU is a much more likely culprit for the squealing...

Well I think I know why I was unstable. Everytime it reached 82c-83c it would just freeze. I guess when I was in game I can't monitor temps but it would reach that temp. I don't think my fans were aggressive enough so I tweaked it in Afterburner. Now again I'm at 940/1450mhz, upped the fan to 50% just for stability testing and passed 3 loops of vantage, and more than 30 minutes of Kombustor. What is a safe temp for this card? I've seen people saying they were using it passed 90c. Again I came from having a card never going above 60c so it topping at 80c isn't really joyful for me. Problem is the fans are loud as hell. I have a HAF X with at least 8 fans and I'm using a 120mm fan GPU attachment that put a 120mm fan right in front of the fan for my 6970 and that isn't seeming to help that much even though the fan does 70cfm. Was I crashing because of temps or it wasn't stable? I believe temps because I've done extensive stability testing with high fan speeds but in games, where I used a lighter fan profile it has frozen. Any thoughts?

Edit- Finally found a true Crysis stable clock at 1.2v at 925/1450. Not the best and would have hoped for better but I'll take it.

Last edited:
Well I think I know why I was unstable. Everytime it reached 82c-83c it would just freeze. I guess when I was in game I can't monitor temps but it would reach that temp. I don't think my fans were aggressive enough so I tweaked it in Afterburner. Now again I'm at 940/1450mhz, upped the fan to 50% just for stability testing and passed 3 loops of vantage, and more than 30 minutes of Kombustor. What is a safe temp for this card? I've seen people saying they were using it passed 90c. Again I came from having a card never going above 60c so it topping at 80c isn't really joyful for me. Problem is the fans are loud as hell. I have a HAF X with at least 8 fans and I'm using a 120mm fan GPU attachment that put a 120mm fan right in front of the fan for my 6970 and that isn't seeming to help that much even though the fan does 70cfm. Was I crashing because of temps or it wasn't stable? I believe temps because I've done extensive stability testing with high fan speeds but in games, where I used a lighter fan profile it has frozen. Any thoughts?

Edit- Finally found a true Crysis stable clock at 1.2v at 925/1450. Not the best and would have hoped for better but I'll take it.

Technically speaking you can probably take the card up to 100C. I've heard stories of tech support saying thats ok. Personally I wouldnt take it past 85C. Also realize that your temps while running kombustor/furmark are probably gonna be substantially higher than in a game.

And the temps are making you unstable ;)

Technically speaking you can probably take the card up to 100C. I've heard stories of tech support saying thats ok. Personally I wouldnt take it past 85C. Also realize that your temps while running kombustor/furmark are probably gonna be substantially higher than in a game.

And the temps are making you unstable ;)

Agree'd to get a good run of what works, 3DMarks typically do a pretty good job, Heaven as well. Those don't give 100% unrealistic numbers at least temp wise for games.

One of the tests and yes its older X3:TC Benchmark.... that is one of the best tests that hits the memory on the card. If the memory is out of whack this picked it up in under 2min. From personal experience. 3DMarks or Heaven didn't even catch it.

If you can find the offending component making the squeal you can put clear fingernail polish around the base to absorb the vibration and get that annoying knat out of your ear.

You could use something non-conductive, and soft like an eraser stick to probe around, and once you touch the offending component it should change tone, or go silent.

This isn't the one I was talking about. On TechPowerUp, you upgrade to the 6970 BIOS which isn't what I want. I want to unlock the shaders. Might sound confusing but many people were killing their memory because they aren't the same. I suggest you use the unlock shader BIOS instead of the 6970 BIOS. Anyone else can you help?

Would there be an issue with just fully unlocking to the 6970 bios, then lowering the voltages back down via CCC? I'm putting the 6950 in my new build and am curious to know how to tackle this bios thing.

It ups the memory voltage which is why it's causing damage to many cards. Play it safe and just unlock the shaders.

It ups the memory voltage which is why it's causing damage to many cards. Play it safe and just unlock the shaders.
Apparently people have measured the memory voltage and it doesn't actually change (can't find where I saw this :( ). Though the timings might change and it could potentially cause damage. Regardless, you lose nothing by using a modded 6950 bios.

Ok, so just shaders then oc from there? I'll try that.
If you follow the modded 6950 bios tutorial linked here, you can then unlock the OCing with MSI Afterburner. Details are near the bottom of this thread:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668485

Actually you'd be shocked. Right now I'm running 6970 speeds at 1.1v which is the stock voltage for a 6950. I could probably squeeze 900 without a voltage increase. I also replaced the Thermal Grease and got a good 4c at least with it.

what tim did you use?

If you follow the modded 6950 bios tutorial linked here,

Where exactly? Sorry but I'm having difficulty with this and have become a bit frustrated trying to flash the bios but keep coming up with a message that says "'atiwinflash' is not recognized as an internal or external command...." when trying to follow W1zzard's instructions for the full bios flash.

Is the procedure the same just using a different bin file? Am i going to have to use the bootable drive method?

Thanks for any help here. I really want to use your method of unlocking shaders only, then oc'ing. Especially after reading this: http://www.techimo.com/forum/graphics-cards-displays/255792-6950-6970-flash-info.html

I used Noctua TIM that came with my D-14. To flash get GPU-Z and save your BIOS with it. Get the 6950 unlock tools that was linked earlier and run that program with your original BIOS and it will give you an unlocked BIOS for you to use. Download the TechPowerUp 6950 to 6970 package. Now replace the 6970 BIOS with your 6950 unlocked shader BIOS. Rename it the same. Now run the batch file or ATI WinFlash, whatever that starts the flashing to begin. Make sure your BIOS switch is on the 1 position or it won't work at all. That's how I did it so hopefully it'll work for you. http://www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip Here is where you download the tools to unlock your 6950 BIOS.

I used Noctua TIM that came with my D-14. To flash get GPU-Z and save your BIOS with it. Get the 6950 unlock tools that was linked earlier and run that program with your original BIOS and it will give you an unlocked BIOS for you to use. Download the TechPowerUp 6950 to 6970 package. Now replace the 6970 BIOS with your 6950 unlocked shader BIOS. Rename it the same. Now run the batch file or ATI WinFlash, whatever that starts the flashing to begin. Make sure your BIOS switch is on the 1 position or it won't work at all. That's how I did it so hopefully it'll work for you. http://www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/Mod_BIOS_HD_6950.zip Here is where you download the tools to unlock your 6950 BIOS.

If ATI WinFlash isn't letting you do it and it says its locked, do this:
Code:
If you get an error like ID mismatch or Could not erase ROM, then you'll have to do some extra work in a Windows command prompt (or DOS): Run atiwinflash -unlockrom 0 followed by atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.bin where bios.bin is the path and filename of the HD 6970 BIOS you downloaded.

kayson, That's where I'm getting the error message, in the command prompt.

BT, I did all those things except getting the flashing to begin. Winflash said "could not erase ROM", and the cmd prompt gave me the error message "'atiwinflash' is not recognized as an internal or external command...."

kayson, That's where I'm getting the error message, in the command prompt.

BT, I did all those things except getting the flashing to begin. Winflash said "could not erase ROM", and the cmd prompt gave me the error message "'atiwinflash' is not recognized as an internal or external command...."

You need to navigate to the folder where you have the program, that's why you're getting an error. If you're not familiar with command prompt stuff, try this:

Move atiflash as well as the modded bios into a folder at C:\atiflash
When you open up the command prompt (assuming youre on the C: drive), type "cd \atiflash"
Then run the commands

I had a could not erase ROM earlier on when I was doing it wrong, then I did it the way I did and it worked perfectly so I don't know if you are doing everything correctly. Did you download the TechPowerUp package and use the WinFlash they include? Download their package with everything intact and just switch the 6970 BIOS ROM with the 6950 unlocked BIOS ROM and run the program or batch file they include.

Attachments

• 6970 link.jpg
    6970 link.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 748
Well, I finally had time to screw around with my 6950 the other day and finally got the bios to successfully flash! But, I did it using a flash drive as a bootable device instead. BigTerminator and kayson, thanks for your time and help.

Back