• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Unlocking 6970 Shaders on my 6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigTerminator

Hey, I'm having problems getting my card to flash and it's probably because I have no idea what I'm doing. I know theres that Tech Power Up way of doing it with a 6970 BIOS but I DO NOT want the 6970 BIOS, but the 6950 Unlock shaders BIOS. Meaning it only changes the shaders, not the voltage and clock speeds. I've downloaded the shader unlock package that others have referenced but I'm not sure how to use it. It says put your original BIOS and then run it. It then gives you a modded BIOS so I tried ti use ATI WinFlash and flash to the Modded BIOS but it said that my card couldn't erase the ROM. I know there is something I'm not doing right and would really appreciate help from the people who have done it. Thank You

This isn't the one I was talking about. On TechPowerUp, you upgrade to the 6970 BIOS which isn't what I want. I want to unlock the shaders. Might sound confusing but many people were killing their memory because they aren't the same. I suggest you use the unlock shader BIOS instead of the 6970 BIOS. Anyone else can you help?

From what I've seen with various people attempting to flash to that particular BIOS does not work for most, you have to use the actual 6970 BIOS to unlock the shaders along with the additional voltage and clock speeds.

I can't believe it, I got it. I found out that GPU-Z can save your true BIOS, I was using WinFlash so that was one of my problems. When I got the correct modded.bin bios file, Win Flash still wouldn't work in updating. So I download the Tech Power Up 6950 to 6970 tools. Went to the Win Flash folder of it and replaced the 6970 unlock Bios with my unlock modded.bin file and renamed it to unlock.bin. The flash worked and I rebooted and now I have 1536 shaders. Hopefully this might help someone else who has troubles.

I can't believe it, I got it. I found out that GPU-Z can save your true BIOS, I was using WinFlash so that was one of my problems. When I got the correct modded.bin bios file, Win Flash still wouldn't work in updating. So I download the Tech Power Up 6950 to 6970 tools. Went to the Win Flash folder of it and replaced the 6970 unlock Bios with my unlock modded.bin file and renamed it to unlock.bin. The flash worked and I rebooted and now I have 1536 shaders. Hopefully this might help someone else who has troubles.

Odd. See the problem surrounding those wanting to unlock the extra shaders only is that it often required a bump in voltages as well, so most gave up and just went for the full 6970 BIOS when it didn't work the first time round.

To be honest I don't see why you don't fully unlock the card, it is, after all, exactly the same apart from the 8 pin connector being replaced with a 6 pin, the solder marks for the 8 pin are still there on the cards.

But job well done on the flash, now you just have to test for stability. You might find that you need to bump up the voltages a bit anyway. :)

Actually you'd be shocked. Right now I'm running 6970 speeds at 1.1v which is the stock voltage for a 6950. I could probably squeeze 900 without a voltage increase. I also replaced the Thermal Grease and got a good 4c at least with it.

Actually you'd be shocked. Right now I'm running 6970 speeds at 1.1v which is the stock voltage for a 6950. I could probably squeeze 900 without a voltage increase. I also replaced the Thermal Grease and got a good 4c at least with it.

Interesting, I've read quite a lot of threads where unlocking the shaders and getting reliable performance out of the card was impossible without bumping up the voltage, you must have a good'un, take it further! :D

Hey BigT sorry for the late reply but looks like you got it working :) Congrats.

And NN.... 6950 @ 900/1400 using 1.1V with shaders unlocked :) Boya
Others are like this too on the boards, Rattles is one for sure since he gave me the nudge to do it this way, just have to try higher clocks when I get a chance.

Hey deathman when your card goes to 100% load on any game to get squealing noises? Because I do and I heard around to see if it was the graphics card but I think it's the PSU. I have a good quality 750watt PSU so is it bad, or it can't handle the load or is working properly just making squealing noises. I never got much squealing with my 5770 so does anyone know more about this?

Nice! Push that sucka further! :D

When I read a thread a few weeks back on another reputable site people were having no luck and just plumped for the 6970 BIOS.

How much further do you think you can push it, and how's the performance?

Hey deathman when your card goes to 100% load on any game to get squealing noises? Because I do and I heard around to see if it was the graphics card but I think it's the PSU. I have a good quality 750watt PSU so is it bad, or it can't handle the load or is working properly just making squealing noises. I never got much squealing with my 5770 so does anyone know more about this?

Does it happen when there is a really high FPS? Thinking 100+, typically on menu screens its noticed most.

Nice! Push that sucka further! :D

When I read a thread a few weeks back on another reputable site people were having no luck and just plumped for the 6970 BIOS.

How much further do you think you can push it, and how's the performance?

In due time :) I know my memory is maxed basically maybe a few more mhz but not going to push it. Though yup got to give her more sometime just when I get more time to test. Been really busy.

I'm running the same thing right now :D yay 6970 at the cost of a 6950 haha. and im sure i still have plenty of room to go too

I will push it further but the cooler on this card isn't really that good. I think I'm stable now at 940/1400mhz at 1.2v and on furmark with around 37% fan speed (which is hella loud) it gets to 78-80c. I know you'll tell me that is in acceptable limits, but I'm coming from an MSI Hawk 5770 that was dead silent and never went above 60c at 1ghz. This card is a beast though and is 225-250% faster. On Crysis Warhead at enthusiasts at 1920x1080 I get about 50fps without AA and about 35-40 with 8 AA. Hopefully I'm Crysis 2 ready. The memory doesn't seem to like it above 1400mhz, either that or I'm not putting enough voltage. At 940/1450mhz I crashed in several games. I think I'm really greedy though, I paid $280 and got a 6970. Coming from a 5770 and I still want more performance even though there is plenty. Overclocked the 6970 and still feel like I need more. I guess overclocking is in my blood. Tell me I'm not the only one here that doesn't feel the same way? I be shocked if someone said there okay at stock speeds :)

About the PSU, not when I get 100+fps but whenever the GPU is at very high stress. I here a squeal coming from the PSU. I don't think anything is broken but I might just be working my PSU hard. Anyone knows whether my PSU is okay? I shouldn't be overpushing it as it is 750 watts. Even a 550 watt should run my rig. Anyone know how to stop it or is just how the PSU is made. I might give this to my brother and get a modular 850 watt or greater. Deathman you know anything about this problem.

About the PSU, not when I get 100+fps but whenever the GPU is at very high stress. I here a squeal coming from the PSU. I don't think anything is broken but I might just be working my PSU hard. Anyone knows whether my PSU is okay? I shouldn't be overpushing it as it is 750 watts. Even a 550 watt should run my rig. Anyone know how to stop it or is just how the PSU is made. I might give this to my brother and get a modular 850 watt or greater. Deathman you know anything about this problem.

Your PSU is fine. When you're drawing a lot of current you can get inductors to start "whistling" which is why you're hearing the high pitched squeal. Some capacitors also start vibrating with certain voltages and it can cause the same noise. If you're hearing a squeal all the time or when the psu is off, then you should be worried. Otherwise you're fine.

Edit: sad day I can't get above 900MHz core at stock voltage and the temps are a tad high. I'll have to try messing with some voltage and fan settings tomorrow

Last edited:
If the squeeling doesn't go away you can change clocks and voltages for the CPU and GPU and you can usually find a combination that is a lower tone squeel or goes away all the way.

My GPU F@H rig took lots of tweaking shader/memory clocks on the cards to find a combo that didn't make any noise :lol:

Edit: sad day I can't get above 900MHz core at stock voltage and the temps are a tad high. I'll have to try messing with some voltage and fan settings tomorrow

Sad day? I actually can't get above 880mhz with stock voltage lol. I have though found a really good combo that really seems to be stable. I'm going to stay at 940/1400mhz at 1.19 volts. Any higher voltage and my card really gets hot and thats with amazing case air flow, low ambient temps and replacing the TIM.
About the squeal I'll just cope till I'll sell my PSU to my brother, he uses a crappy 380 watt. Can anyone recommend a good PSU that can run multiple cards and NOT squeal. I'm looking for a PSU greater than or equal to 850 watts. Main features I want are no squealing, no squealing and being modular. Also no squealing.

Edit- I'm actually going to do 925/1400mhz for now at 1.15v. Problem is really heat and the extra 15mhz requires .04v which is way too much. With 1.9v I got to 82c at 37% fan. With 1.15v I got to about76-77c max. The performance difference is very negligible. I will try lower volts late and let you know how that goes.

Last edited:
Sad day? I actually can't get above 880mhz with stock voltage lol. I have though found a really good combo that really seems to be stable. I'm going to stay at 940/1400mhz at 1.19 volts. Any higher voltage and my card really gets hot and thats with amazing case air flow, low ambient temps and replacing the TIM.
About the squeal I'll just cope till I'll sell my PSU to my brother, he uses a crappy 380 watt. Can anyone recommend a good PSU that can run multiple cards and NOT squeal. I'm looking for a PSU greater than or equal to 850 watts. Main features I want are no squealing, no squealing and being modular. Also no squealing.

Edit- I'm actually going to do 925/1400mhz for now at 1.15v. Problem is really heat and the extra 15mhz requires .04v which is way too much. With 1.9v I got to 82c at 37% fan. With 1.15v I got to about76-77c max. The performance difference is very negligible. I will try lower volts late and let you know how that goes.

I would have to recommend the Antec Truepower series, there is an 850 watt version and it's modular as well.

Haha well everyone always wants more! As far as a PSU goes, there's always a chance that you'll get squealing at a some load current even if its a great PSU. I have a Corsair HX850 and I don't hear any squealing though

Back