• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power mod for a board,is it possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shant

was wondering if its possible removing the 4 pin power and adding an 8 pin one to the board, will i benefit? will i get better oc? does it take the load? does it need more power phases? if it needs extra chips, is it possible adding them?

basically what im trying to do is
do a power mod on this GA-EP45T-UD3LR and make it like this GA-EP45-UD3R

I'm pretty sure you won't need more voltage, thus won't need to do this complicated and virtually impossible thing.
Actually all them powerful PCs on the market never need more than 400w of total power, unless you're stressing CPU & GPU at the same time.
So yeah, I'm quite not sure why do you want to do such a thing.
The effort and the cost of it (probably making a new PCB for the motherboard, unsoldering & soldering back the components, chipset reball and etc) will be waaay more than a new motherboard.
Oh well, that's what I think, I may be wrong, but from my point of view its pointless.

im trying to get more oc, if its something easy like adding a few stuff why not, but f i have to unsolder lots of thing and resolder new ones then it is truly a waste of time, though is it possible?

Well the motherboard got designed and made that way in 1st place, so I'm pretty sure that if you have the skills and the gear you need you can do it.
But yes -it isn't worth it, waste of time and money.
For a better OC you could always do a BSEL & VID mod.
You won't benefit from an 8 pin CPU power connector as far as oc goes.

Putting an 8 pin plug won't make much of a difference on mobo that already have 4 pin connector. You'd only be redistributing the current across 8 wires instead of 4 from PSU and be less likely to get warm under heavy load with extreme overclocking but the power bottleneck would still be the 4 pin connector on the mobo itself and some of the power regulator chips.

IMO not worth it.

is the vid mod is the one where you have to short out something on the motherboard with a pencil right?
and whats the advantage of the vid?

Back