• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pre-overclocked cards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuffinRage

Registered
when these cards are factory overclocked, does that mean some of the overclocking head room is used?

for example, the MSi GTX 560 Ti comes pre-overclocked; compared to a similar stock card, would these cards have a similar maxiumum overclock? ie if i were to overclock the MSi and the stock card, they would reach about the same peak?

i know it is a very generic question, but i am trying to whether buying a stock card is at a disadvantage of buying an overclocked one.

Thanks.

AFAIK, the major difference would be non-reference cooling which may give some more headroom for overclocking, but I don't think that's always guaranteed.

There's nothing different about the video card that enable it to clock higher when comparing reference to factory overclocked except a different cooling solution which may or may not allow you to give more voltage to clock it higher.

You got it, I have seen many reviews on those cards where they all end up about the same mhz, they factory overvolt also in some cases!

True binned parts would be nice.

General rule most here use is NOT to buy factory-overclocked cards. Just overclock them yourself with software such as MSI Afterburner or CCC. You should get a non-factory oc'd card to oc past the factory card anyway.

thanks guys, i really like the community you have here. i appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

you can never tell what potential you have with any card until you actually OC it. I purchased the MSI gtx 560 and haven't gotten close to the clocks shown on many reviews. My advice, try to get the Gigabyte SOC 560 as it comes at massive clock speeds that are guaranteed out of the box

Back