• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 does not see full capacity of used 2nd HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ogeez

I am running Windows 7. My MB is a Biostar H55.
I added a 2nd previously used Sata Samsung SP1614C 160GB HD that was operating on XP Pro that had at least 120 GB of files on it that I wanted access to.
My problem is when I installed this 2nd drive it was recognized in "My computer" as drive E: but was only showing about 15mb of files that were either empty or unreadable.
When I opened disk management I saw the drive in 3 partitions. 1st was about 5mb in size, 2nd was about 140GB insize both online and active. A third partition was unallocated that was 10mb in size.
When I tried to explore the larger 120GB partition from disk management, it came up in windows explorer as 10mb in size with the same unreadable files I mentioned above. Disk management sees the larger partition but Windows 7 will not display the files I was looking for.
Is there a way to get Windows 7 to recognize the files on this drive that had been operating under XP Pro?
Any help would be wonderful.
I dont have any other devices other than a mouse, key board, Monitor hooked to the desktop.
I did notice that my old Samsung drive has 8 jumper pins that are empty (not jumped). The operating system drive is a newer Sata that has a slot with 4 pins in it that are not used anyway.
Thanks for any help.
John

Have you tried to disconnecting restart then shut down and reconnect the drive again? Sounds like win 7 confusion. I've had this kind of trouble with HDD, SD cards USB thumb drives. Win 7 just seems to have issues recognizing drives. The good news is once win 7 sees it right it tends to stay that way. I'd try and R&R and go from there.

I shut down disconnected, restarted, shut down, reconnected, restart. did it 3 times still same result.
I finally removed it and put it in another XP OS and it works fine, so I know the drive is good. XP saw it right off as a storage drive. I really wanted to get it on my new Windows 7 though.
I put in a support request with Biostar and Windows 7 support forums. Maybe something will come up.
I had a couple of other old drives that I decided to check first on the XP OS and them put them into the Windows 7 and none of them work in the Windows 7 OS last night. I'm now thinking it must be a lost cause.
Thanks for the suggestion.
John

No it shows as online and active as one of two primary partitions, but not foreign.
thanks for the idea!
John

Back