• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old man part 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

hello I have built my new machine with the m4A79XTD board and phenom II 555 Black Edition.
I am not over clocking it at all. I used the stock heat sink and its loud.
The cool n quiet and the Q-fan utility seem to be working fine.
In fact the whole build is great no problems at all.

Can someone recommend a quite yet high performance cooler. Right now with the Q-Fan utility set to mid level its running 110 F and that seems to have it pretty cool but high loads the fan spins up and it gets loud.

right now its an open case so its not case fans as the whole side is open and the one case fan is right next to the cpu.

thanks everyone for the help in specing this machine out.

D14 rawks for quiet cooling...but it's really overkill if you're not gonna unlock cores or overclock. SPCR is a great place to go for quiet heatsink reviews

Also what case do you have? The width of your case may become an issue with some of the tower coolers. Also if there is a side panel fan that may be an issue as well.

So that mounting kit allows an Intel style heatsink to work on an amd?
I have a narrow case its 10 yrs old. Thanks for the help

Yeah, that mounting kit will work with the TRUE Spirit, or any of the Thermalright branded offerings with a base design like that. But if your case is narrow, the heatsink might not fit your case.

If the case is too narrow, then you might try out a Promilatech Samuel 17 with a Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850 rpm) fan, since you aren't overclocking. This will give better than stock cooling with a quieter 120 mm fan instead of the smaller, higher speed fans that are used on stock heatsinks. It is even good for a mild overclock for cooling and is a very low height cooling solution. While I didn't test it on an AMD system, I reviewed it right here on an Intel 980X. I did do a test fit on an Asus M3A79T Deluxe board though, just to make sure it didn't have any fitment problems on the one AMD board I have.

Thanks for the help. Is one of your links broken for the 120 mm fan unit?

No, it just worked for me. It is the D1225C12B5AP-15 Gentle Typhoon, that turns 1850 rpm, in case the link still doesn't work for you. And it's on the same website as the Samuel 17 (Sidewinder Computers), so you don't have to pay a searate shipping charge from another store.

Back